 Administrative / Database / 264
Re: Circle/Disc terminology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 04:17:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
In your terminology, though, I'd argue that they should not be called
circles!
Circles have no thickness. What will you do if TlG brings out the
following bricks...

a 4 radius cylinder with a 2 radius cylinder subtracted
b 4 radius cylinder with a 3 radius cylinder subtracted

Both fit the name 8x8 circle brick. (or if these come in quarters like
the 2x2 macaroni, they'd both fit the name 4x4 circle brick)

I'd argue that these bricks (as well as the macaroni bricks) are torii,
or torii sections (well, actually not, as torii have circular cross
sections like donuts, and these have rectangular cross sections, that is
a 1x1 brick(-ish...) and a 1x2 brick(-ish...) respectively)that , and
that you should use something that makes that clear.

How do you differentiate the current 4x4 to 2x2 conical sections? one is
hollow and one is solid (or is the solid one the 3x3 to 2x2, I forget)

Just some stuff to chew on.

Ahh, good points.  Both the "2x2 Cylinder Brick" and the "2x2 Quarter-Circle
Brick" are 1 brick tall, but a cylinder (in geometry) actually has a volume
and a circle (in geometry) has only circumference to speak of.  This is an
anomaly to be sure!

--Todd