 Administrative / Database / 1889
Re: Where'd the photos go?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:34:21 GMT

Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
In lugnet.admin.database, Steve Chapple wrote:
In lugnet.admin.database, John P. Henderson wrote:
Is there a problem with the set database?  I don't see any pictures.
I've not seen them for days either and am also wondering...

SRC

Hi John, Steve,

please see also:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=13607

Jerry is still working on this issue (with the appreciated help from Dan).
Currently, they're looking for a needle in a haystack, whereas the haystack is
the very complex structure of the DB with all the trimmings and the needle
probably is just a tiny piece of code. Nevertheless, I'm sure this will be
adjusted soon.

Thanks for your patience!
René

Although I am not a programmer, I can attest to the fact that such
problems here are tricky to solve.

Most people don't know that the LUGNET database (in fact, nearly all of
LUGNET) was custom written by Todd as he learned web programming. He did
a good job and learned a lot, sometimes coming up with innovative
solutions and even creating better code than was freely available online
at that time.

However, because of its being unique and not thoroughly documented,
LUGNET code can be hard (even for Todd!) to troubleshoot. Many tiny
scripts send processes through and around others, so it's hard to locate
the exact lines of code which send things awry. Not to mention, this
code is very old. There have been updates to the engines which run the
scripts. After each update the scripts themselves were not always
checked for potential incompatibilities or resultant changes in
behavior. Only when things went wrong, did they receive attention. Also
worth noting: when Todd wished to fix something quickly, it meant
"putting band-aids on band-aids", so to speak, because re-writing code
from the beginning would have been a huge undertaking.

But rest assured that Dan and Jerry are VERY good at what they do and
are dedicated to solving problems like this ASAP! They enjoy a challenge
and work hard on it in their available time. (I know because the DB is
one of my fav parts of LUGNET and I was aware of the image problem from
day-one of the server change-over!) Until recently, Jerry
(appropriately, IMHO) gave priority to problems in the newsgroups,
including the posting, indexing and search functions.

I have no doubt the problem will be fixed soon and the code will likely
be better for it. Also, whoever works on it will have the inevitable
added benefit of learning more about the "haystack" as they fish through it.

Now, this may sound hokey, but, I personally appreciate users like you
pointing out problems. (obviously.) Please continue to do so!

I also appreciate René and Jerry's quick response to the problems and
their keeping up communication with users. These are welcome
improvements to how LUGNET is now being run!

  (^_^)

-Suz

p.s. It's my hope that the DB soon be re-done with something like mySQL.
That would certainly ease troubleshooting and make many overdue feature
additions possible! But, alas, a team of volunteer programmers would be
needed (hint, hint to certain capable people!) ;-)