 Administrative / Database / 1051
1050  |  1052
Subject:
pointer to db ascii files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:27:46 GMT

I'm using the DB to seed my own collection database.  Very, very useful.
Thanks.  I'll have a number of updates to post once I spend an evening
verifying them.

A couple of suggestions, though.

You used to have a pointer to the database files in tab-separated ASCII
files, back before the news system facelift.  Do you still intend to have a
pointer to those?  If so, I can't find it.

I kind of hoped to find a pointer from here:
  http://news.lugnet.com/admin/
or here:
  http://news.lugnet.com/admin/database/
or maybe here:
  http://guide.lugnet.com/

But then I remembered it was part of Pause (which isn't even referenced
on the front page anymore, understandably) and so typed this:
  http://www.lugnet.com/pause/
which turns out to still work, so I followed the "set lists" page
(which says 1997 on it) and aha, there they are, the set lists.
With a timestamp from just this morning.  Awesome.  (Go cron!)

So, assuming you do mean for people to be able to download the ascii files,
it would be nice to point to that page of pause from one of those pages
I mentioned.

Second suggestion - in the DB, you often have part counts like this: "152?".
I've found it useful to split those two pieces of data:
  part count: 152
  part count confidence: N

I do this mostly because it's easier to add or sort 152 and 200 than
"152?" and "200".

I can easily do the data separation with a perl script as I load my DB
with the pause data, but thought I would mention it as input.

This may be useful for other fields in the DB as well.

Thanks again for all the work you put into this.

  -r'm

Remy Evard / remy@evard.org