 Administrative / Curators / 489
488  |  490
Subject:
Email Harvesting from LUGNET sidebars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 03:55:01 GMT

As curator for the Market hierarchy, I have posted an email address on each
sidebar page so people may contact me.  This works pretty well.

The email address I use for the sidebars is used ONLY for this purpose.  As such
the volume of mail sent and received via this address is very little.  I like to
keep it that way.

I have changed this email address several times since becoming curator because
of SPAM emails.  It was getting intolerable again, so I changed it again less
than two weeks ago.

Well, since then I have already begun receiving SPAM at that address and will
probably change it again before the week is out.  Apparently it is too easy to
harvest email addresses from the sidebar pages of LUGNET.

I just wanted the Lugnet admin team to be aware.
I notice that several email addresses are now posted on the Admin sidebar pages.
Perhaps it would be best to add some spam-busting features [1] to those
addresses unless everyone listed is okay with receiving even more SPAM email
than they already receive.

__Kevin Salm__
curator, Lugnet marketplace newsgroups

[1] such as those used in the headers of posted messages.

Note:  the latest SPAM came with a message promoting bizdiscovery.com and even
came with a return receipt request which I naturally refused.