Re: general session starting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:33:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   This is the text of Jake’s speech.
snipped

I really hate to say this, but rather than feeling inspired about the great future to come, Jake’s speech has instead left me completely disheartened. The bottom line is this: TLG has betrayed my trust. And unfortunately, the only way I can see them regaining it is by changing the grays back, which looks like is not going to happen. I can’t believe that 20+ years of momentum cannot overcome the last say 2 years when the so-called color “improvement” decision was made.

TLG as a whole seems to have little concept of its fan community. We are LEGO’s greatest evangelists. We bring others into the hobby and provide an incredible amount of inspiration and free advertising. It’s often touted that we only represent 5% of sales. I dispute that claim. I agree that AFOL sales may represent only 5% of TLG sales as a whole. But if TLG sales are dominated by Bionicle, where AFOLs have little interest, this dilutes our relative contribution. Likewise, if DUPLO, Clickits, etc. are included, our relative contribution is further lessened. On the other hand, TLG’s decisions in these areas hold less interest for most AFOLs. But what about the themes where the AFOLs’ interests lie primarily: Technic, Star Wars, Sculptures, Legends, etc. I’m sure our relative sales are significantly greater than 5%. For S@H-Exclusives and Hard-to-Finds, such as the ISD or 8455 Backhoe, AFOL sales may even dominate. It makes plain sense to seriously consider AFOL interests/opinions in the themes and issues where we actually care.

None of this seems to matter, however. TLG barely has (had?) a clue that AFOLs exist. Apparently, many in TLG were surprised that customers were upset by the color change. They had no clue that anyone might care about the 20-yr-standard colors. In essence, the thought hadn’t even crossed their minds! Jake and Brad have made great strides in waking up TLG to our presence. And I do believe that his post above is sincere and his intentions are true. But how much can one person do? It’s hard to get the battleship to change course. Despite Jake’s best efforts, his little tugboat cannot keep the battleship from plowing over the AFOL sailboats, which are (supposedly) too little for it to see.

I recently took the AC Nielsen survey about the 8455 Backhoe, a set that obviously relies on strong AFOL sales, since people must actively seek it out to purchase it. After asking if I was a “Boy” or a “Girl”, it asked for my birthday and who the purchase was for, so it did know that I am an adult and bought it for myself. Questions included how “cool” I thought the model was compared to my other toys, how “cool” my friends thought it was, how “cool” the box was or how “cool” minifigs are compared to my other toys, whether I needed help from my parents or friends to build the model, and asked me how well I agreed with some statements made by “other children”. These are the issues TLG cares about (how cool...) and the style of the questions shows where their focus lies. They’re blind to my presence as an AFOL. (Perhaps this example is unfair, since the survey is run by a third party.)

As with all things, part of the blame lies with us, the AFOL community. (As an aside, note that this community arose with essentially no participation/help/interest from TLG.) Jake, in nearly every discussion regarding the color change issue, mentioned that TLG had gotten very little negtive response through the channels they watch, Customer Service. (Of course, relatively few customers actually know the change is a permanent replacement, rather than an additional color.) In this (spotlighted) thread http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=44983, I made a plea for the community to write letters to TLG. The thread got 18 responses. How many letters did the community send to TLG? 25? 50? 100? I doubt much more. People were quick to respond to Jake’s threads with complaints and to set up polls, etc. How many of those posts/results were seen by anyone at TLG other than Jake? If we want to succeed, we need to put our protests in the places where TLG is looking. Margaret Mead said “Never underestimate the ability of a small group of conscientious individuals to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.” We need to lash our boats together so the corporate battleship can’t help but see us!

As Jake has basically said, the awareness/involvement of AFOLs in the corporate mind is increasing (and I thank him for it). I think a main reason for this desire to include AFOLs, however, is the incredible success of LEGO Direct. This is fine. LD’s success is due in large part to their engagement of AFOLs. Through the Sculpture, Legend, S@H-exclusive, etc. lines, LD has proven that capturing the AFOL market can increase TLG’s bottom line. We’re here. We want to give TLG our money. Well, we did. But TLG corporate is making it so difficult by sapping LEGO’s appeal to us.

I’ll end this post the way I started it. The definition Jake gave of LEGO community revolves around the concept of “LEGO Moments”. One of my most memorable LEGO moments was deciding that I, as an adult, could buy the UCS TIE Interceptor for myself and enjoy it, which led to my emergence from my Dark Age. Unfortunately, another equally powerful moment that has indelibly marked my LEGO experience was the betrayal I felt (and still feel) finding out that TLG had replaced light and dark gray. How could they be so ignorant and careless? I know they weren’t actively trying to “screw” me, but rather were just oblivious to the fact that I might care.

I’ll close with some quotes from Jake’s speech notes that particularly hurt:

“LEGO Community Development, also known as LCD, is focused on one main goal: help build and maintain relationships with our core consumers. ...

The important thing for all of us to remember, especially all of you, is that if you aren’t happy, then the relationship is setup wrong. ...

But this is a relationship, and relationships are long term. In order to do anything long term, you’re going to have hits and misses. Together, we’re going to fall but not fail.”

-With such a spectacularly terrible start, it’s hard to get our hopes up.

“I hope that your trust in me continues to grow. I’m your advocate, and I’m your voice in the company. I fight daily, literally daily, to get your questions and requests answered.”

-Thank you sincerely Jake. It’s a shame that it has to be such a battle.

“So to conclude, 2003 was an amazing community year, but I truly believe 2004 is going to put it to shame!”

-I think TLG corporate has already put 2003 to shame.

“Everybody goes home happy!”

-If only it were so.

bionicle
(score: 0.302)

Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:28:25 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello!

It’s meant to capture
interested builders and turn them into hard core fans.

Well, most AFOLs already have been LEGO fans as kids and - after a periode of
neglecting the brick, the so called 'dark ages' - found back to their old love.
That means: For the purpose of growing hard core LEGO fans it's necassary to
inoculate the LEGO virus into kids. I know TLC is trying to attract kids with
their products, but I'm not at all certain if the kids attracted by these days'
LEGO products will become hard core fans when they are adults.

I consider myself a hard core fan, and I am a hard core fan because I got sets
like 6374 ( http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6374 ), 6080 (
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6080 ) or 6285 ( http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6285 ),
each embedded into a whole line of complementing sets. Sure, the Black Seas
Barracuda has been re-released, but where is the complete line that belongs to
this set?

The sets that I (quite randomly) mentioned along with the lines they belonged to
breathed the spark of the LEGO-idea into me, that is: Building, combining parts
with other parts and let your fantasy flow. Everything fits to anything. That's
what hooked me to LEGO, none of all the competing toys I had got me hooked like
LEGO.

I doubt that todays kids feel this LEGO idea when they see or play with recent
LEGO products. They can't let their fantasy flow because the storylines are
predetermined. They can't build as much as we were able to because the sets
contain less parts and much worse: less multifunctional parts. They still can
combine anything with everything but the outcome is most likely not as appealing
as it used to be due to the two previously mentioned aspects.

I know there are many kids (and adults) attracted by the Bionicle line, the
Bionicle fan forum has myriads of members, and I do not at all intend to start
another flamewar against Bionicles. Bionicle may have its place, I don't mind.
However, will kids that are Bionicle fans now still be die hard LEGO fans if TLC
eventually decides not to continue the Bionicle line? Are those kids attracted
by the "Bionicle" idea with its (quite interesting as I have to admit) storyline
or are they attracted by the "LEGO" idea? I guess the first.

To cut a long story short, I don't believe that anybody will become a hard core
LEGO fan due to any web site in the world wide web, unless he already has the
LEGO virus in himself. So TLC should concentrate on their product to get kids
(coming adults) hooked on LEGO, hooked on LEGO that will still be the same LEGO
they used to be hooked on when they eventually discover their old love again in
a couple of years. (Hm... this would be the place to throw in a little comment
regarding the colour changes that caused a big loss of confidence into the
perpetuity of the LEGO company and their products....)
Interested builders will become hard core fans as long as they find sufficient
amounts of the material they build with, that is bricks.

Bye
Jojo

bionicle
(score: 0.302)

Re: Solara Hovercar MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:44:25 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tom Sciortino wrote:

So what if it “rides a little bit slower” -- it looks good doin’ it. ;) I love the tail end of this thing. That grill work, the tail lights--and the fins!!! Mmmmm, fins... When will today’s car manufacturers realize it’s time to bring back fins?!?! And is that a premium sound system I see on either side of the driver’s head? Man, you thought of everything. The snot work is very interesting too. I like the interleaving of the red and grey towards the back. Good work with the underside, too. Often people ignore that part of a model, but yours has some great features under there.

Thank you.

The fact that the fins can be top and bottom just doubles the fun. Yes, that’s the best sound system possible; when you’re flying solo, ya gotta have tunes. This is what I call a ‘studs-out’ design; there are studs facing every direction. The main ‘studs-up’ part is the canopy assembly and there are a few others, but there are more studs pointing down overall (though they are covered with tiles.)

   I don’t know how others do it, but I usually build from the outside in too. First a frame to get the general shape, then usually engines (just the nozzles) and landing gear. Later on I fill in the empty spaces (including any engine compartments, weapons bays, cockpit details, and assorted greeb’s).

I tend to start with a seedpart or a ‘seed assembly’, which in this case was the side panel and then the tail light/fin. I actually thought it would be a two-seater until I tried putting seats in.

   My only complaint is that lego doesn’t make a chain-link steering wheel or fuzzy dice. And the fact that I can’t get “Low Rider” out of my head now.

Ah, the song-virus. ha ha! I’m glad you picked up on that one. That’s another resonance this model has for me, though I’m not sure how the lowrider concept maps onto the hovercar concept. But, hey, I like the song. Shall we petition TLC for the steering wheel and fuzzy dice?

   P.S. Could you maybe make your pictures just a little smaller. While it is kinda neat to see the individual polymer chains comprising each brick, it’s a wee-bit slow for us pathetic dial-up users. :)

As a pathetic dial-up user myself, I feel your pain. I did trim the extra background of the tops and bottoms of the pics where possible. I figure that 640x480 is a reasonable compromise, but I may have saved them at too high a quality. At least I downsampled my 4 megapixel shots from the camera. I’d like to hear other thoughts about this issue. How many seconds at 56k is a reasonable download time? Did anyone else see the recent brickshelf file of an out-of-focus purple bionicle slug in the middle of a vast expanse of out-of-focus upholstery at 1600x1200 pixels? sheeesh! Anyway, yes, I’ll try and keep them a little smaller.

Peace and resolution,

Professor Whateverly

click to ride

bionicle
(score: 0.302)

Re: General session Q&A
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 05:18:17 GMT

In lugnet.lego, John M. Rudy wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Gregory Muri wrote:
   That is just it Kevin, nobody at Lego got any sense. They just responded to the one and only thing that corporate robots instantly respond to. The loss of money, especially on the scale that Lego did last year, is a powerful thing. It will likely take a much bigger loss than 2003 for them to change back this color fiasco.

Greg

See... I disagree with you on this point. The poor sales of 2004 will have nothing to do with color change. We, the AFOLs may cease buying because of this fact, but that is a drop in the bucket of problems, a mere 5% loss in a world of hurt for TLG.

a few idle remarks from the peanut gallery

Many (most ?) AFOLs buy at clearance. Because certain AFOLs stop buying at clearance, doesn’t mean that the stuff will just sit there and go unsold forever. Some clearanced stuff moves back up the food chain to EB, some to BL, and some to places like flea markets. That one destination decides to boycott, will have little or no effect on the parent 2-years hence trying to find that discontinued (and needed) set which WM, KM, TRU, Target (et al) have dumped to clearance. They will buy *that* set because the kid wants it. The stuff will still most likely percolate thru the food chain, just that AFOLs won’t be taking so much from the ‘clearance’ buffet. (and we are 6-12-18 months from when the new colors actually make it to clearance.)

   To h@#$ with the color change, let’s say it never happened. OK, now look at the product lines for what they are. They’re action figures. There is no building or creativity.

The New Castle (Big Figs): Galidor Redux. (OK, so maybe not as bad as Galidor, but still a far cry from LEGO’s core values)

The New Castle (Minifig): Can You Say Playing Our Children For Imbeciles?

I still prefer the term ‘Castleonicle’. Bionicle has won the battle for hearts of minds of many of the primary target audience, now TLC is trying to work the same magic with Castle. It may be heresy to some, but it may be a smart move to others.

Ray

bionicle
(score: 0.302)

Re: Argent Supra
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:10:38 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch wrote:
   My love affair with the 3x12 wedge slope continues:

Argent Supra

This came out a bit more old-school than I intended. And a lot bigger (it sort of strains the boundaries of whooshability!). It was originally going to be an all-silver spaceship like a Naboo starship, but I changed my mind - and conserved the lions’ share of the silver elements for another spaceship.

The landing gear is a bit fugly, but it is sturdy and extremely compact... so I left it as-is.

Cheers,

<http://www.lugnet.com/~164/sci-fi/http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pbaulch/Icons/scifisig.jpg

Man..is that ever ‘out there’. To be honest, when I first saw it in the thumbnail I recoiled a little bit due to the lime green....truly one of the hardest colours for me to get my head around. A closer look however reveals that the spire formations on it seem to work with the outlandish colour scheme. The Bionicle/Racer bits in the engine cowling look excellent.

The only criticism I would have is the interior. For some reason, the ‘plain’ colours of black/red/gray don’t seem to fit the exterior. I would almost expect to see an all white interior with trans highlights or something. A minor personal taste.

Innovative as always Paul.

Cheers, -Gil

   Sci-Fi LEGO>

bionicle