  Search Results: Mosaic MOC
 Results 21 – 25 of about 25000.
Search took 0.00 CPU seconds.

Messages:  Full | Brief | Compact

Subject:
Hobby Show - Thanks and recap.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ham, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ott, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 21:53:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Wow, another November well under way and another Hobby Show under our belts.
This year makes our 4th year in participating, and what an awesome show it was!

First things first... I would like to thank Chris for arranging and hauling our display tables, without his help, we would not have been able to display at all.   As well, a huge thanks to Mike Sheils of Lasting Toys for sponsoring the major costs we have for displaying at the Hobby Show, and to Dave K for suggesting the idea to him in the first place.  As well, I personally want to thank Allan for all the behind scene arranging with the show organisers, which allows me the pleasure (and glory) of the fun jobs like getting the exhibitors and deciding the layout of the show.

Of course, I also want to thank each and everyone of you for showing up,
bringing your creations and hanging out for the weekend. It's so fun for me to
spend the weekend talking Lego, and catching up with old friends, and getting to
know new ones better. There were some very impressive creations displayed this
year, from one end of the display to the other.

Here is my overview... my pics to follow later.  If any of you post pictures of
the event, please add the link to this post.

The display started off with Bill's amazing red brick cathedral and impressive
buildings which were great show stoppers, also it was very cool to see his
collection of antique wooden Lego blocks.

The great ball, with Dave and Chris's creations, and my ball pump certainly got
a good bit of attention, and helped greatly with the fig sales. (Regardless of
the fact that that part of the display needed more babysitting than young
children would need).  That display was flanked by Dave's super cool pneumatic
train.

Jared brought his smaller space/mecha works, and James brought a  huge
robot/mech which was impressive and a very strange juxtaposition of style and
part usage compared to its neighbouring build.

That build being... deborah's amazing architectural delights.  Both of which
pleased the crowds and plenty of "oohs and awws" for her attention to detail and
downright beautiful styling.

Moonbase made a return this year, and space ruled under Canadian forces...
(Considering Jeff's new bundle of joy, I was thrilled that you managed to bring
your display this year.  As a special bonus, Jeff also had a chance to show off
his latest MOC, via pictures still left on his digital camera, what a fine
looking young man that has blessed the life of them both.)

Dave's collection of a classic technic cars in a multitude of colours always is
a fun addition to our display.

Jason, managed to dazzle the crowds with his creations in various themes.  Since his micros put mine to shame, I just took credit for them all.  His mosaics, puzzles, toys and sculptures, (as always) never fail to please, and his flag presentation is extremely "polished", wink wink!   I have to add a special thanks to Jason for bringing in some of his older builds as a favour for me, so we could keep the tables filled as exhibitors came and went.

Allan's totally awesome new and improved CN tower had the crowds astonished (and
considering all the touching that went on, I'm surprised the top only toppled
once.)

Through out the weekend we also had many ppl join us for the day or part of the
day.  Thanks to Anthony for his cool creations, my personal fav was the heat he
was packing (and his mom for braving traffic so he could join us), Derek's
working Ferris Wheel, Glen's bots and really neat micro creations and Oliver's
mosaic really impressed me.  Last but not least, it was great to see my good
friend Tilt who brought out his globe, which now just happens to be living at my
house, and if he thinks I am ever returning it, he is sadly mistaken. Wink!

Over all, Friday was a bit slow for attendance, but Saturday and Sunday were
well attended. At the far end of the display we added a kids building table,
which was very busy and well appreciated by parents over the weekend.

For a bit of fun we did a few silly games... "brick count" and "build in a bag".

Chris was closest in his guess for the "brick count", (although Jeff might have
actually won, but since I couldn't read his hand writing he will have to be
happy with second place! Apparently the judge is harsh!  Of course, it's duly
noted that deborah threw her vote away since she didn't want a collection of one
by ones, lol.)

The "build in the bag" contest was so fun for me to watch...we built a little
seasonal elf that Bricks and Blocks were discounting this past year.  The
results were pretty darn close, at first Allan was declared the winner, but
again, that harsh judge had to disqualify him for the fact that he feels elves
don't need hands.  As the rest of the builders raced to finish, (well except for
Jason, who quit because he wasn't going to win, and Jeff, who sadly had a bag
that just wasn't up to Lego standards and ripped open on him.)  Derek R stuck
with race to the finish with the best time of 4 mins and 30 "ish" seconds!
Yeah, I said "ish"... we are such a formal group!

Like always, I managed to destroy a number of MOCs, thankfully most of them were
my own!  As as side note, the fig sales (thanks to all builders that collected
funds for me) and donations made will allow us to start purchasing items for the
show, such as a banner, better quality table cloths (I'm thinking black, for
better picture taking, any objections???) and eventually a collection of tables.

Anyhow, I hope you all had fun, and I hope that you will all join us again next
year.  As well, good new is that we touched base with a few other AFOLs, that
may join us next year.

Janey "Red Brick"
posted on behalf of Allan Bedford and myself.

Until next year, build well!

(p.s. - If I have forgotten anyone, or there are any errors or omissions, my
apologies. I wrote this in a bit of a rush, since I just got home this morning,
and it's the first day of hunting season, the 30-30 annihilated a 6 point buck
and there is major butchering to do.)

mosaic, moc
(score: 1.188)

Subject:
New MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.build.schleim
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:41:56 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Just posted some new MOC pictures:  Coaches to extend my Hogwarts Express,
Hopper Wagons with SNOT lettering and my station building.

Coaches here:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=199421  including
pictures of the underside and bogies.  These are 8mm:1ft scale British Mk1
coaches in the scarlet colour specified in the HP books (a bit lighter than the
paintwork of the train in the film).  One is a second normal coach and the other
a brake coach.  They could do with door hinges on coaches 2 and 3 (though they
don't open regularly on coach 1 anyway) and 1x3 curved slopes on the roof,
though the vents would have to move.  My layout would not accommodate a fourth
coach, four being the number used in the film, though for a school of 600
children where more than half arrived on the train four would not be enough!
(See JKR interview linked from wikipedia).

Hoppers here:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=199422  including
pictures of hopper door opening, underside, SNOT lettering (inside support too)
and end canopies.  These hoppers each reliably unload 1400 1x1 round plates.
I'd like to think they're what the hopper kit could have been if cost and market
were no object!  They're 8mm:1ft scale models of real hoppers on British tracks
that drop ballast for tracklaying.  I now have a rake of 5, just like the real
train.  Some possible improvements listed in the info file.

Station building here:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=199429
including module separation, inside the cafe and kitchen.  This is based on a
British station building for a 2-platform branch line station.  Machynlleth
station in Wales is an example of the style I was trying to capture.  It was
after a visit there on holiday that I built the MOC.  A real British station
building would more likely be tan or white, but it stands out well against the
trains and scenery.  I particularly like the roof, the inner corners being the
product of some tiger mosaic frames!

Also some picures of my train-over-train layout building.  This is a prototype
build to see how things measure up on one corner of the layout.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1953731  The slope develops from
both tracks being flat where the locos are, through 1 in 80 at the top (0.5
plate per piece using SNOT inside) and 1 in 40 on the curves (1 plate per piece)
to 1 in 30 on the straight (1 plate per 12 studs length), which is getting near
the maximum slope on a real British railway.

PLMKWYT

Mark

mosaic, moc
(score: 1.165)

Subject:
LEGO Systems Makes Debut Appearance at New York Comic-Con
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.licensed
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2012 01:47:11 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGO Systems Makes Debut Appearance at New York Comic-Con

-World’s leading construction toy brand announces new theme and unveils playsets from popular licensed properties-

By LEGO Systems, Inc.
Published: NEW YORK, Oct. 11, 2012 -- NEW YORK, Oct. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/

LEGO Systems, Inc., the world’s leading construction toy manufacturer, kicked off its first official presence at New York Comic-Con today by unveiling new sets and exclusive giveaways for fans of all ages. Never-before-seen introductions include LEGO® Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™, a recently announced play theme slated to launch in January 2013. Two of the sets from the much-anticipated LEGO The Hobbit™ collection, launching this December, will also be unveiled. Also on display are construction sets and new video content from popular LEGO Super Heroes: MARVEL™, LEGO Super Heroes: DC Universe™ and LEGO Star Wars™ properties. Because no LEGO experience is complete without a hands-on building activity, show attendees are invited to help assemble a 7.5 foot-tall mystery mosaic at booth #1538 of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, October 11-14.

“The overlap of comic and LEGO fandom is pure magic that makes translating favorite characters and stories into LEGO form such an engaging moment, so we’re thrilled to bring a one-of-a-kind LEGO experience for the first time to New York Comic-Con,” said Michael McNally, brand relations director, LEGO Systems. “The announcements, product reveals and content premieres we have scheduled, punctuated by an interactive building event and life-sized LEGO models, will make the LEGO brand a memorable stop for fans of all ages.”

LEGO Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™ On Thursday, October 11th LEGO Systems will provide a first glimpse into the 2013 LEGO Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™ collection by unveiling one construction set and the four turtles in their LEGO minifigure forms. Fans will have a chance to win an exclusive minifigure character in a special raffle beginning on Thursday at 4 p.m. and again Friday and Saturday at 11 a.m.

LEGO The Hobbit™ Following the first set reveal of the LEGO The Hobbit™ collection at San Diego Comic-Con, LEGO Systems will debut more LEGO stops on the “unexpected journey”, showing fans two additional LEGO The Hobbit sets on Friday, October 12th in advance of the entire collection launching this December. An exclusive minifigure giveaway will take place Friday and Saturday at 4 p.m. Life-sized models of actors Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins and Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey provide memorable photo ops, along with a contest and chance to sample the game play of LEGO Games: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey™, the new board game that launched on October 1. A Facebook contest surrounding the new game launched October 8. Like the brand at www.facebook.com/LEGOGames to learn more.

LEGO Super Heroes Following the wildly successful 2012 launch of LEGO Super Heroes: DC Universe™, fans will preview the first construction set in the 2013 line as well as have a chance to see a LEGO Super Heroes: DC Universe 3-D mosaic featuring iconic images of Wonder Woman™, Batman™ and Superman™. Also the grand prize winner of the LEGO Super Heroes: DC Universe video contest will be announced on Saturday at 1 p.m. with a premiere of the video that garnered a prize package of $15,000 and a trip to New York Comic-Con premieres.

Attendees will also get a peek of a new LEGO Super Heroes: MARVEL™ set that launches in 2013, while a life-sized LEGO model of the Hulk™ – standing 7-feet high – will dominate the show floor. The grand prize winner of the LEGO Super Heroes: MARVEL™ video contest will be announced on Saturday at 5 p.m. with a premiere of the video that garnered a prize package of $15,000 and a trip to the show.

LEGO Star Wars™ Fans will have a chance to purchase one of only 1,000 limited edition, individually numbered New York Comic-Con LEGO Star Wars™ exclusive items – a tin that features all the pieces and instructions to assemble a Chibi Landspeeder and a Luke Skywalker minifigure. A quantity of the limited edition collectible will be available for sale each day of the show on a first-come-first-served basis. A life-sized LEGO Darth Maul model will also be on display throughout the course of the show.

About LEGO Systems, Inc. LEGO Systems, Inc. is the North American division of The LEGO Group, a privately-held, family-owned company based in Billund, Denmark, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of creatively educational play materials for children. The company is committed to the development of children’s creative and imaginative abilities, and its employees are guided by the motto adopted in the 1930s by founder Ole Kirk Christiansen: “Only the best is good enough.” Visit the virtual LEGO world at www.LEGO.com

LEGO and the LEGO logo are trademarks of the LEGO Group. ©2012 The LEGO Group.

© Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved. THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and the names of the characters, items, events and places therein are trademarks of The Saul Zaentz Company d/b/a Middle-earth Enterprises under license to New Line Productions, Inc.

BATMAN, SUPERMAN, WONDER WOMAN and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © DC Comics. (s12)

TM and © 2012 Marvel and Subs.

© 2012 Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved.

Source: LEGO Systems, Inc.

mosaic
(score: 1.163)

Subject:
Legoland Model Builder Search Finalist journal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:36:38 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This is a journal of my experience as a Legoland model builder finalist.

Sorry about the length...but I have a lot to report

Before I begin, I need to tip my hat to three individuals.

The first hat tip goes to my wonderful wife Michelle. From the outset she was
completely supportive of my efforts.  I’m in my 40’s, married, have two kids (6
and 8), a nice home, and a career (math teacher) spanning two decades. Clearly,
I would have been giving up a lot. If I had won the contest I would have taken a
major pay cut and, more importantly, I would have lived apart from my family for
at least a year.  Although there was a deep sigh of relief when Michelle found
out that I had lost, she understood my need to chase a dream and was by my side
the entire time.

The second hat tip goes to Julie Estrada and the entire Legoland PR department.
From the moment I landed I was treated like royalty. The entire three days I
reached into my wallet only once (okay, lets not count how much I spent on
bricks). Everything else was paid for: The room, the meals, tickets for guests,
etc. Even though I lost, it will be an experience that I will always remember.

The third hat tip goes to Jason Poland, the winner of the build-off. He was
friendly, intelligent, did well in front of the camera, and of course, is a
superb Lego artist. His fire-breathing snowman was an amazing build!!

My first task was to prepare for the regional in Chicago. I had no clue as to
what pieces would be made available so I tried to build something using only
bricks. For those of you who have seen my work I tend to build structures and an
occasional mosaic.

(A brickshelf link to see my work)
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=torgugick>

I knew that for this contest I would need to build a sculpture; something that I
had never done before. So I resorted to tricks. Motivated by my children, I made
a Sponge Bob pirate model that utilized some SNOT (Studs Not On Top) techniques
that I had never seen before.

(A Mocpages link to see Sponge Bob)
<http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/18438>

The model is pretty straightforward to build and I practiced so often that, if
given the pieces ahead of time, I could build it in less than 10 minutes. I
headed off to Chicago on May 1st and arrived the afternoon of May 2nd.  After a
quick trip to a Lego store, I headed off to the art institute to build my Sponge
Bob. After filling out some paper work, and a brief wait, I was ushered into a
room with about 15 tables. In the back of the room were 10 larges buckets of
bricks, each containing about 10 to 20 pounds of pieces. (Mostly bricks and
plates and slopes with a few specialty pieces) You were then given one hour to
select your pieces and build your model. There were some pretty incredible
models being built and I felt that I might not have a chance. I finished my
model with plenty of time to spare.

At this point I was told that Legoland had commissioned an independent film
company to film and produce a movie about various contestants and their road to
Legoland California. The ultimate hope was that the piece would eventually be
aired on PBS or perhaps even made as an independent movie (Similar to the movie
Spellbound which followed six contestants in the national spelling bee). The
producer, Matt Martin, asked me if I would answer some questions for the camera.
After a quick interview he asked that if I won the regional would I be
interested in having him come to my home in Cleveland to film me.  (I wasn’t
sure how much pull he had in the selection process though he said he had none).
I left Chicago that evening and received two phone calls while on the road. The
first was from Julie Estrada, the Legoland PR person, who called to congratulate
me as a finalist. The second call was from the producer who, after also
congratulating me, tried to confirm a day or two that he could visit me, my wife
and kids, and my job. The producer arrived 10 days later and spent the better
part of a day talking to my family and me and taking a tour of all my models.
This clearly was an incredible experience. Win, lose, or draw at the finals, an
appearance in this movie, with pictures of my work, would be a wonderful boost
to my Lego career.

Given how much was at stake, I took the liberty of e-mailing every former model
builder whose name I could find in an effort to get a better idea of what the
job entailed. There were a few lugnet posting that hinted that perhaps I
wouldn’t actually get paid to play. Some of the builders wrote back. Most of the
this was a job. I wouldn’t be hanging out building whatever I wanted to build.
They explained that about 25% of the time I would be doing maintenance, 25% was
PR work; interacting with kids and the public, and 50% I would be building what
other people wanted me to build. They all echoed the ridiculous cost of living
and of trying to make ends meet in southern California. They were all surprised
that I was married with children. Living in San Diego, making $15 dollars and
hour, with a family would put me almost at the poverty level. (This was not a
big deal for me because my wife works in a sort of virtual office and could
relocate just about anywhere). Even though they had an occasional negative
comment or two (what previous employee doesn’t?) they all still seemed to think
that it was the job of a lifetime and if I could somehow pull it off
financially, that I should give it a go.

I was also interested in finding out who my competition was so I Googled each of
the finalists.  After a little digging around, I discovered that one of the
finalists had been a finalist at the last builder search. His work is amazing.
Really amazing!! But then I found out that he had been offered the job at the
last builder search but turned it down because of a conflict of interest with
his current job. Now I couldn’t figure this out. Why would Legoland shell out
over six figures (The film, the people flying to and staying at seven different
cities, shipping all the models, the expenses incurred during the finals) if
they already had someone who was qualified. This person was clearly interested
(or why bother to try out); Legoland was interested (he was again chosen as a
finalist). So what was going on? My wife, who has worked in media, PR, and
marketing for close to 20 years, saw it in a second. This was a event to
generate as much media as possible. Don’t get me wrong, I truly believe Legoland
was looking for an artistic, creative builder; someone who would work well with
the present team of builders, but this clearly was also a media event. My wife
and I discussed some strategies to perhaps use this information to my advantage.
(Unfortunately, he dropped out of the competition and I never got a chance to
meet him. I am currently “borrowing” some of his ideas for optical illusions!)

An early morning flight on Sunday May 21 got me into San Diego at around 2:00
where I was greeted and brought to Legoland via a stretch limo. I was put up at
the resort hotel right across the street from the park. There was a gift basket
waiting for me that contained a Legoland t-shirt, Legoland collared shirt, a
Legoland hat, 8 complimentary tickets for guests, a variety of munchies, and, of
course, about 1000 Lego bricks. After freshening up I headed out to the
reception; given in one of the hotels ballrooms. There I met the other
contestants, the model builders, model gluers, model manager, and other folk who
worked in or with the model shop. The members of the model team were a diverse
group; some out-going; others more reserved. Conversation with a few confirmed
what the previous model builders had written me: This was a job. A very cool
job; but a job never the less.  When I asked Eric Hunter whether he still had
time to create cool stuff at the same pace he did before he started working at
Legoland he answered “No”. There was beer and food available as I hung out and
spoke to some of the contestants. At the end, there were a couple of speeches by
John Jacobsen, the President and General Manager of Legoland California, Julie
Estrada, and Pat De Maria, the Model Shop Manager. At this point Pat announced
what the theme for the final build off would be. The theme was to build
something that could either enhance something already at the park or add
something completely different to help better the park. The theme was pretty
amorphous allowing for just about anything to be built.  There was more
conversation, more appetizers, and then off to my hotel room for a good night
sleep.

After breakfast (everything was paid for; even the tip for the waiter) we all
met in the lobby of the hotel and walked over to Legoland. We headed to the
“Pick a Brick” area and were allowed to select about10 pounds of bricks that
would be used in the final build off on Tuesday. We were told that there would
be plenty of extra pieces at our disposal in case we did not select our bricks
as wisely as we would have liked.  Like a kid in candy shop I loaded up my
bucket to the brim. It was easy to stop the die-heart fans. We all spotted the
bin of 1x1 very light grey plates and vowed to return later to stock up. At the
end of the contest we were told that we could bring our models home. In
retrospect I should have stocked up on the sand greens and other exotic pieces.
Oh well.

We were split up into three groups. I was in the purple group and our first task
was to build a model of a face at least six inches tall.  We were each given a
tray of yellow bricks, plates, and tiles of every size and shape. The tray also
contained a few special pieces such as headlights, jumpers, and hinges. My model
was pretty bad. I should have practiced more often, but every time I took out my
bricks at home I got caught up it the subtlety of the mathematics of the bricks
and ended up building some geometric shape. Strike one.

The next stop was the one on one interview. I met with Kim Clark, the Manager of
Public Relations and Human Resources. She asked me why I thought I was the right
person for the job, whether or not I would move, and whether I had any questions
to ask her. I had sort of a prepared response. I figured that this was the part
where I should brag about myself. I told her that I’ve produced a lot of pretty
good work in a relatively short period of time. I also tried to use my age to my
advantage; explaining that my experience, maturity, and leadership skill could
be an asset.(Perhaps in the new Legoland park).  The next thing I talked about I
had debated over and over as to whether it was appropriate. But after my dismal
performance in the face building I decided to give it a try. I told Kim that I
understood that this was a media event and that, besides being qualified for the
job, I might generate the most amount of media. I hypothesized the headline
“Forty-six year old man chases childhood dream and wins!” or perhaps “Master
math teacher quits after 20 years to become master model builder”. In retrospect
this whole approach seemed sort of cocky. I also explained to Kim that if I won
I would need to make some sort of work arrangement that would allow me to get
home periodically until my wife and kids could move. I had been warned that
Legoland did not negotiate. Strike two.

The next test had us making an egg. We were once again each given a large
assortment of bricks and plates. Again while I had been messing with the bricks
at home I had discovered?? a new way to make a sphere based on a hexagonal base.
Although it was a long shot I experimented by using my new design to try and
produce an egg. It was another dismal attempt. Strike three.

(A Mocpages link to see the sphere)
<http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/18431>

At this point we were cut loose. We were to roam the park in an effort to help
inspire what we were going to build the next day. A food voucher bought me a
nice dinner. It was then off to the pick a brick shop I had been to earlier
where I quickly spent about two hundred dollars. Again, my forte is buildings,
so I took about 100 pictures of the different structures in miniland. The newest
addition, NYC’s Freedom tower was there. It, like all the buildings there, was
magnificent. What’s being done at the park is clearly a step above what I’ve
accomplished.  I headed back to my hotel and went to bed early as I had to be up
at 3:15 in the morning.

At least half of us made a live appearance on some local new broadcast around
the country. Julie tried to match the appearance with the city you lived closest
to but that didn’t always work. I was the first as I appeared on an Evansville,
Indiana TV station. I was picked up at the hotel at 3:45 and brought to
Legoland. After some make-up (yuck!) Julie Estrada and I did the two/three
minute segment. Back to the hotel for a little R&R before the big contest.

Everyone put on his or her red Legoland shirts and Legoland hats and we all
headed off to the Park. Each of us had a separate table with our name and our
bucket of pieces. After a ten to one count down the twenty-three contestants
began to build. Once again I had agonized over what to build. Some might say
that I copped out but I’m still pretty proud of what I did. As I had walked
around the park the day before I saw that there were lots of places where kids
could build with bricks. My idea was to have stations around the park where kids
could build things that they actually saw. For example, in the Knights Kingdom,
kids could build, with instructions and pieces provided, a miniature dragon etc.
So I decided to turn my model into a series of instructions. While messing
around with the bricks I had also discovered?? a way to make a 6x6x6 cube. What
makes it so intriguing is that 5 of the six sides have the studs facing out. Not
very impressive until you consider that it’s made only with bricks and plates.
Pieces that have been around for over 40 years. The judges were clearly not as
impressed with my idea as I was.

(A Mocpages link to see the Rubik’s Cube)
<http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/18379>

After two hours of building the judges came around to view the models. Four
finalists were announced and then Jason Poland was announced the grand prize
winner. The media swooped in as everyone congratulated him. One final prize was
given to all; a twenty dollar gift card to be used for a meal, souvenirs, or
bricks (I bought $20 worth of 1x1 trans-pink bricks). My brother who lives in
San Diego and a few relatives were there to consol me as was a call from my wife
at home.

(Model Builder Kristi’s Blog has lots of pictures of the competition)
<http://brickstarsearch.blogspot.com/>

We all met back at the restaurant by the hotel and were joined by the team of
model builders for one last meal (not on Legoland. I think it’s the only time I
paid for something). Exhausted and still licking my wounds, I finally headed
back to the hotel.
The following morning Legoland had arranged for a shuttle to the airport. I
found myself back in the real world later that evening.

In many respects I’m glad I didn’t win. (I think that’s called sour grapes) My
life remains status quo. I’ll be with my wife and kids for their birthdays and
for holidays. I’ll still be teaching math. I get to build what I want to build.
Sure, I’m glad I didn’t win.

Yeah. Right.

But beware. I’m now practicing more “organic” models.

And looking forward to competing again in the next master model build off.

Arthur
Comments and questions are more than welcome.
(Feel free to contact me at my yahoo e-mail if needed.)

mosaic, moc
(score: 1.147)

Subject:
LEGO® Systems Celebrates a New Theme Each Day at San Diego Comic-Con
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:53:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON (July 11, 2012)

LEGO® Systems Celebrates a New Theme Each Day at San Diego Comic-Con

-Surprises abound for fans as construction toy maker unveils new playsets, life-sized models, mystery builds, contests and one-of-a-kind giveaways in support of popular licensed properties-

LEGO Systems, Inc., the world’s leading construction toy manufacturer, unveils its largest ever San Diego Comic-Con presence with a “theme of the day” calendar of events that celebrates its top licensed properties including LEGO® THE LORD OF THE RINGS™ and LEGO THE HOBBIT™, LEGO Super Heroes, LEGO Star Wars™ and LEGO NINJAGO. LEGO Systems welcomes show attendees with displays of life-size models, first-ever “reveals” of LEGO building sets and limited edition giveaways. In addition, attendees are invited to help “build” a section of its booth each day that features 7.5 feet tall mosaics of Comic Con favorites at booth #2829 of the San Diego Convention Center, July 12-15.

“Each year we’re overwhelmed by the excitement Comic-Con fans show toward the LEGO brand and the new playsets we introduce based on their favorite characters and storylines,” said Michael McNally, brand relations director, LEGO Systems, Inc. “As we celebrate our 80th anniversary this year, we’re pulling out all the stops in San Diego to show fans how the classic LEGO brick continues to build popularity among children and adults of all ages with a rotation of themes and activities for fans of all interests.”

LEGO The Lord of the Rings and LEGO The Hobbit- Thursday, July 12

Epic characters and scenes take LEGO form in the newly released LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGSTM collection, based on the popular THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. Additionally, to coincide with the release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in December, LEGO Systems will introduce a collection of LEGO THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY™ building sets in December 2012.

The imaginations of fans attending the show will journey to Middle-earth when they catch a sneak peek of the first LEGO The Hobbit set in the upcoming collection, and a preview of short videos for LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS that are scheduled to air on Cartoon Network. The excitement continues with a hands-on Hobbit-themed scavenger hunt to build Bilbo Baggins in LEGO minifigure form. Attendees may pick up the first piece of Bilbo along with a special Middle-earth map at the LEGO booth, which will lead them on a show floor journey to collect the missing pieces to complete the Bilbo minifigure. The reverse side of the map includes instructions for a LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS contest that challenges fans to build any scene from THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy for a chance to win a trip to LEGOLAND® California along with a Warner Bros. studio tour. For those not attending the show, instructions can be found at http://thelordoftherings.lego.com. LEGO Systems will also host a raffle to award one lucky winner a custom 5-inch model of Bilbo made completely out of LEGO bricks.

LEGO Super Heroes – Friday, July 13

LEGO Super Heroes: DC Universe TM adventures soar to new heights with the public debut of 2013 LEGO Super Heroes minifigures. To spotlight the collection that recreates famous DC Comic Super Heroes and Super Villains with a collection of sets and buildable characters, LEGO Systems will display a LEGO Super Heroes DC Universe 3-D mosaic featuring iconic images of Wonder Woman™, Batman™ and Superman™. One raffle winner will receive an exclusive 5-inch Batman model in LEGO form.

LEGO Super Heroes: MARVEL sets and buildable action figures bring scenes of great Marvel characters such as the Avengers, Spider-Man and X-Men to life, in addition to new characters unveiled for the first time in their 2013 LEGO MARVEL Super Heroes minifigure form. A life-size model of the Incredible Hulk in LEGO form will dominate the show floor, 2012 construction sets will be displayed and an exclusive 5-inch Spider-Man in LEGO form will be given away to one lucky winner who enters Friday’s raffle.

LEGO Star Wars – Saturday, July 14

May the Force be with San Diego Comic-Con visitors as LEGO Systems unveils the new LEGO Star Wars Rancor Pit construction set, one of 20 new LEGO Star Wars sets launching in 2013 and a sneak preview of the latest LEGO Star Wars episode slated to air on Cartoon Network. To complete this day’s expedition, a one-of-a-kind 5-inch Luke Skywalker in LEGO form will be given away to one lucky winner who enters the raffle.

LEGO NINJAGO – Sunday, July 15

One of the most successful LEGO play themes ever, NINJAGO introduces a new chapter to a storyline that merges classic construction with social and virtual gaming experiences, anchored by 26 episodes of the NINJAGO: Masters of Spinjitzu animated television series airing on Cartoon Network. Devoted ninjas should gather at the LEGO booth at 2 PM PST on Sunday for a special Ninjago announcement that will further the excitement of this original story. An exclusive panel discussing all things LEGO NINJAGO takes place Sunday morning at 10:30 AM in room #8. A one-of-a-kind 5-inch green LEGO Ninja will be awarded to winner of Sunday’s raffle.
LEGO Systems, Inc. is the North American division of The LEGO Group, a privately-held, family-owned company based in Billund, Denmark, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of creatively educational play materials for children. The company is committed to the development of children’s creative and imaginative abilities, and its employees are guided by the motto adopted in the 1930s by founder Ole Kirk Christiansen: “Only the best is good enough.” Visit the virtual LEGO world at www.LEGO.com

LEGO, the LEGO logo, DUPLO, NINJAGO and TECHNIC are trademarks of the LEGO Group. © 2012 The LEGO Group.

DC Universe and all related characters are elements or trademarks of and © DC Comics.

TM and © 2012 Marvel and Subs.

© New Line Productions, Inc. All rights reserved. THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY and the names of the characters, items, events and places therein are trademarks of The Saul Zaentz Company d/b/a Middle-earth Enterprises under license to New Line Productions, Inc. (s12)

© 2012 New Line Productions, Inc. All rights reserved. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and the names of the characters, items, events and places therein are trademarks of The Saul Zaentz Company d/b/a Middle-earth Enterprises under license to New Line Productions, Inc. (s12)

© 2012 Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved.

From: LEGO

-end of report-

mosaic
(score: 1.146)