  Search Results: "Impossible to disassemble"
 Results 1 – 5 of about 2800.
Search took 0.00 CPU seconds.

Messages:  Full | Brief | Compact

Subject:
my first BF - I had a blast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:41:33 GMT

Thanks to all who made me feel so welcome at my first
BF.

I especially want to thank Kevin Clague, who calming
presence kept me from going ballistic when I learned
we couldn't disassemble the instruction books for
the timed 8421 crane build.

But we still set a record on it anyway: 1:48:14, over
seven minutes better than the German team's time.
The build team was Randall Crabtree, Ondrew Hartigan,
Augie Thiesing, Kevin and myself.  I worked with
Ondrew on the cab and boom; he is the fastest builder
I've come across.

Then I got my ABS butt kicked in the mega-sumo robot
contest by Steve Hassenplug and Bryan Bonahoom.  Oh
well, it was just my second sumo design, I'll do
better next time.

The breadth and depth of building skill in the model
displays is impossible to describe.  I think I got
pictures of everything (over 600 photos), so maybe
I'll learn something after I've digested it all.

And I got to give Kjeld a brief personal thank you
for all the good things Lego toys have done for me.

I came home completely exhausted, but it was the
most sheer fun I've had in many years.  I hope to
see y'all again!

impossible, disassemble
(score: 1.062)

Subject:
Reviving old cybermasters with MacNQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.cybermaster
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:58:31 GMT

Hi all,

yes I know, this group has been dormant for quite a while - however when digging
through my older Mindstorms items last weekend, I also found two cybermaster
units and became curious if they were still operational.

The software is of course beyond any serious usability now - I do not even have
a Windows box left here. So I picked an old copy of MacNQC I had lying around -
only to find that there has not been an update to the same for years now. Is
anyone still working on that?

Anyway, hooking the thing up using the serial tower and an USB to serial adaptor
(I found that the Prolific 2303 adaptors you can buy dirt cheap everywhere is
just perfect for this) worked just fine, and what's more I even found that an -
albeit simple - program I wrote to test a spybotics brick worked without
modifications. I knew those things were compatible, but not _that_ compatible.

Also interesting: Wikipedia told me, you can only use the color coded touch
sensors on the cybermaster - not so. The RCX ones work just fine, at least if
you set the sensor mode to boolean (haven't tried a lot of other settings,
though).

Now, question is, does anyone still have a specs page listing the technical
details of the cybermaster? I am particularly interested in the storage/program
capacity before I consider what to actually do with the old bricks.

Also, I've found one of the built-in motors going slow. Is there any way to
disassemble and "grease" (or otherwise fix) them?

Thanks and regards,
Jerry

disassemble
(score: 1.041)

Subject:
How to fix a failing touch sensor on Spybotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:10:54 GMT

Hi all,

I recently got hold of a - previously ignored - Spybotics model (I never really
considered them to be of interest until I got one cheap and found the kids like
it).

Yes, they are fairly outdated, however they hook up to my Mac just fine over a
USB to serial adaptor and they do work with MacNQC.

Now there's two things I've found: One is the remote control is only of limited
use as it seems to go on strike after any program has been run on the Spybotics
brick (although apparently the remote can interfere with a running program, much
to the amusement of the kids). Lacking any kind of instructions for the set, I
am also unable to determine what the red button and the "other" setting of the
bottom lever on the remote are good for.

The other thing was worse: Apparently an old Spybotics can develop a faulty
touch sensor, and as that thing is completely integrated with the unit, it is
quite difficult to get at. I can offer a "hack", though:

When disassembling the Spybotics brick unscrewing the six bottom screws, you can
actually carefully lift up the front of the circuit board and the tongues of the
touch sensor become visible. When removing the plastic push button of the
sensor, you can see a small rubber part that acts as a spring between the button
and the contacts.

The easy fix I found (as I could not completely remove the circuit board without
using a solder iron) was to take out the rubber spring using a pair of tweezers,
and applying a thin stripe of 3M adhesive aluminum tape (the sort that has been
recommended to convert RC train track into 9V ;) ) on the back of that spring.

So far, the solution has proven fairly rugged (the kids _are_ tossing the
Spybotics model around in the kitchen). I may eventually disassemble the whole
thing for a permanent fix, but it seems like a quick and easy approach.

Regards,
Jerry

disassemble
(score: 1.041)

Re: Oh no - Crocodile disappeared in S@H / discontinued as trains are not selling?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:34:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, “John” John@TCLTC.org wrote:

   Oof. I admit that I only now stumbled upon your post, Ben. Yes, I’m afraid that LUGNET’s role from now on will be THE historical record for the genesis of the worldwide phenomenon of the AFOL. And I admit that I certainly feel like a dinosaur among the newest generation of trains MOC builders. But I will never forget the magic of the beginning, of which we were all a part. And it’s all documented here in beloved LUGNET.<3

Leg Godt, Frieden

JOHN

Hi John,

yes we have been part of - what feels today like kind of - the gold-rush times in the LEGO Hobby. The community found together and LEGO as a company realized that there are these so called “AFOLs”. And us collecting all information that is now so easily available in Bricklink. Actually I have thought it to be impossible to ever create a data-base that would list all sets and all bricks used in these... It is a long way since then: Today my 4558 Metroliner is older than the 113 first ever motorized Lego train when I got it into my hands.

Are you still active in the hobby (for your own or in any community)? Still being in touch with some of the other dinosaurs? Still having flaming discussions with Larry P. from time to time?

From James Mathis I heard (from a YouTube fellow) that he had sold off his complete collection. Steven Barile still out there? Ben Fleskes?

Holger Matthes is still quite active and had published a book that gives a comprehensive view on the train systems and includes some real clever MOCs. René Hoffmeister made it even to national TV: he is one of the Jury members in the LEGO Masters TV show. And he is the first (and only) Lego Certified Professional in Germany.

And there are so many yound talents and so many new communities around: I completely lost track and enjoy the LEGO mainly on my own (and with the kids).

Stay healthy!

Ben

impossible
(score: 1.022)

Re: What to do with sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:24:16 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Eric Borden wrote:
How do people store sets they purchase?
1. Leave them separate from the main collection. -or-
2. Add them to the collection of LEGO?

I see benefits to both but was wondering what others do.

Thanks.
In the beginning I would build the set, display it for a while, and then sort it
into the appropriate parts bin. Now, I build, display, disassemble, and store it
in a ziploc with the instructions. [Prepare to Gasp] I loan out my sets to
neighbor kids (and adults). The downside to this is that I inventory the pieces
afterward, which can take some time. Dan.

disassemble
(score: 0.934)

More:  Next Page >>