 Western/Wild West / 76
Re: Civil War Theme
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 10:01:41 GMT

David wrote:

Come on guys I know there has to be more people out there interested in • the
wild west and the Civil war.  I just don't believe people when they say • that
the wild west sets didn't sell.  Let's hear from you.

Just look at the shelves. Tons of 1997 Indian/Western sets that don't sell,
even with discount prices.

Bruce wrote:

I'm not sure how widespread (as in worldwide) interest is in the U.S. • Civil
War*.  Nor is the War Between the States# specifically western, except • perhaps
to countries east of North America.

Exactly. I would predict low sales here in Europe, and probably also in the
rest of the world. Sounds like an U.S. only theme.

It might have done better if they hadn't completely abandoned the western • town
for the native american@ theme the second year.  Of course, what would be • the
point of Fort Legorado without some perceived threat.  But I can't help • but
feel that the Indian& stuff didn't have much building potential and a • little of
it went a long ways.

In my view the Indian sets were too similar to each other, just as the
Islander sets in 1995 were.

  That, and westerns are about 40-50 years out of the peak
of the popularity.

I don't think so. Are pirates and knights more popular among kids than
Indians and cowboys are? Fort Legoredo was and still is a very popular set,
in my view Lego just missed some opportunities regarding the Indian sets.
And please give us a saloon in 2001....

Arnold

Bruce

* "Politically Correct" is a term created by conservative to denigrate
liberals, so correctly speaking, "Civil War" is politically correct, not • the
other way around.

# On the other hand, the War Between the States identifies it as the
specifically american conflict, rather than the English Civil War, or the
Spanish Civil War, or.....

It is also closer to the reality of the mind-set of people then, but then
again, I'm a liberal and if you wanted it called the War Between the • States, ya
shouldn't have lost! (Joke!  Joke, joke, joke....)

@ Why indigenous people of this continent would want to name themselves • "Native
of a land named after an Italian mapmaker" is beyond me.

& I take that back.

The preceeding notes are not to be taken too terribly seriously.  Laugh.
Please?