 Western/Wild West / 690
Re: TLC's WW Matter (was Re: Death of lugnet.western?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 23:17:33 GMT

In lugnet.western, Dean R. Hennen writes:
Hello again Ben,

Yes.....those are good reasons. And another thing, TLC has a pretty (how
should I say?) obvious problem when it comes to "ordinary life" in most
themes. Town has most of the "ordinary life" (or at least the old kits) but
many types of kit lines, such as Castle, Ninja, Pirates, Wild West, etc.
have almost always situations involving big millitary castles or with three
bandits taking on a fort of 12 troops with rifles or something like that.

I would also like more "ordinary life" sets.  But you have to look at the
history of the company.  They know what works.  What I find amazing about
TLC is how little things have changed in the last 25 years.  For example new
"NASA" sets are coming out.  Well "Moon Landing" (565) is an example of
this.  What about the Sopwith Camel, Yoda, etc.  Sets like Constellation and
three hobby set cars (Renault, Rolls Royce, and Cadillac) were done by LEGO
first.  My arguement is that TLC is aware of the types of sets young
children, especially boys, like and they market to this group.  Boys want an
Eldorado Fortress, Kings Castle, or Black Seas Barracuda (heck, I want these
too! - please take note TLC employees :).  They are probably not as thrilled
with a homemaker set.

In general, TLC doesn't really have a "wide range" of kits in certain themes
(if you know what I mean). That's quite disappointing, really. Also another
thing. TLC was not really using that much idea in Western kits. Here's the
TLC's basic story: A gang of three bandits rob a bank. The sherrif goes
after them and it winds up at a fort where they get in a big fight and the
sherriff is on a one to one with the gambler bandit with the green suit.
They play cards but the sherriff does the table trick and the bandits are
down. The end.

This is of course, my own opinion, but the general TLC storyline is cut out
like that. Good and evil (Knight's Kingdom, Wild West). I think they have
been overdoing a bit too much of that, don't you think?

I do not think that LEGO is overdoing it.  But, I do think that LEGO could
benefit from diversifying and add different types of sets that dont follow
"the formula". There is a large market, especially girls, not being reached
by LEGO.  They would appreciate diverse town sets (realistic "sims" types of
sets would be very successful - not the oversized pink fairy crud) and other
ordinary life sets within more action oriented themes (ie The Guarded Inn).

A large question is what will fly off of shelves.  TLC knows that certain
types of sets will be profitable and so they focus on these.  There is a
reason you find mickey mouse sets on clearance and not millenium falcons.

All I have wrote is constructive critisism. Thank you.

Cheers (*clink*)

Dean

Thank you for your opinions.  I think you have several valid concerns.

Ben