 Trains / Train Organizations / 2605
2604  |  2606
Subject:
LTC Practices and Specs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:25:04 GMT

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Brian B. Alano wrote:

Bylaws? We don't need no stinkin' bylaws!

Well, we could get along without them, but then we'd keep forgetting our
lessons learned and our past decisions and either re-invent things or
make costly mistakes.

LAYOUT ZONING LAWS.
Tables.
Layout tables should conform to a standard width and length, which is 128 x 256
studs or 4 x 8 32x32 baseplates). Half-size tables of 4 x 4 baseplates are also
acceptable.

Train Cars.
The maximum size for a train car on the layout is 8 studs wide and 32 studs from
the center of rotation of the first bogey to the center of the last bogey. A
standard test car of these dimensions provides the final standard. If the test
car won't run cleanly on the layout, the layout must be changed until it does.
If a MOC car exceeds the dimensions of the test car OR it won't run cleanly on a
"clean" layout, the MOC must be changed before it can run on the layout.

Several months ago, I poked around several LTC Websites looking for
information on how the clubs operate, both as organizations and as layout
developers.  What I found was a dearth of data.  Some Websites did have
some interesting and informative pages on specs---I recall especially the
NILTC, GFLTC, and PNLTC sites.  But I don't think that anywhere I got a
really good feel for how a club operates, and often I couldn't even
determine how large I could build a guest train before it would start
running into buildings.

So, I would urge LTCs and their Webmasters to consider documenting how the
clubs work, and what standards they employ.  This information would be
useful for prospective members, existing members, people who want to run
guest trains, and people starting LTCs who want to know what works and
what doesn't.  This might even be good data for ILTCO to link to
specifically, so people can compare and constrast how different clubs do
things.

Some stuff that I think about when contemplating LTCs:

priviliges; show coordination
* Operation: layout structure as (a) table modularity, (b) baseplate
modularity, or (c) throw-the-baseplates-on-the-table modularity[1]
* Table Specs
* Operating Specs: track clearances, maxiumum car size, maximum car
weight, maximum train length, etc.
* Aesthetic Specs: minimum car size, automobile size, road design,
sidewalk fixture design, etc.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/

[1] I assume everyone is familiar with these three types of layout
organization?