 Trains / 9581
9580  |  9582
Subject:
another voice from the first summit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 17:33:51 GMT

I have to mind the NDA we all signed, but I'd like to offer a few more
comments after attending the First LEGO Train Summit this weekend.

In case you don't know, "NDA" stands for "Non Disclosure Agreement".
Basically, we cannot talk specifics about what we saw or heard this weekend.
I can't remember exactly, but I think the words "concrete", "Hudson River"
and "overshoes" were mentioned if we broke the agreement.  <kidding!>

First, it was a huge honor to be there.  It was a great group of people,
with a lot of knowledge, enthusiasm and building talent.  Like Larry said, I
have never seen a better and larger group of MOC models at one time
anywhere!  During discussions, we tried to represent as many different
groups as possible - including the 'space' people, the 'town' people, the
'castle' people, the 'technic' people -- we didn't just talk trains.

My overall comments:  LEGO is indeed listening to the AFOL market.  We all
must remember that we're a small portion of their market, but we are there
and they know about us.  Trains are *not* dead!  There are plans for new
trains, we even got to see a few prototypes.  (No further comment will be
given on this particular area.)  We all suggested ideas as to what pieces we
would like to see released as bulk packs, and we explained *why* we would
like them.  The most important thing we talked (at great length!) about is
how LEGO can cater to the AFOL market without taking products / services
away from their primary market - kids!

We found that there are people high up in The LEGO Company that are still
huge fans of "the brick".  This is not just a job to them, they truely care
about the products that they sell.  They are not going to give up quality
and playability just to make money.  They respect the integrity of the brick
and the system.

Please know that LEGO Direct has plans for the near future that I think
*many* people will like.  (I know I'm really looking forward to them!)
We're still in the 'baby steps' of this LEGO/LEGO Direct/AFOL relationship,
things will move faster and farther in the future.

JohnG, GMLTC