 Trains / 5908
Re: 3225 Classic Train engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 22:07:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ryan J. Schave writes:
I recently acquired the 3225 Classic Train.  My interest is rather new for
trains both in real life and in LEGO so I have no idea how realistic this
engine is.  It seems odd to me that there is a lever at the front of the
train.

Would it be more realistic to expect a working light in place of the lever?
What are your thoughts on the two lights at the very front of the engine?
Are those commonly found on real engines?

Thanks for your input.

Ryan

Hello Ryan.

The 3225 Locomotive has generated a lot of derision on LUGNET but I actually
like it partly beause it is Lego's only recent attempt at a steam engine.

I think it is supposed to represent a typical European shunter (US=Switcher)
used to push freight cars around a yard or possibly head small trains.

As it is a tank engine (ie pulls no seperate tender for water and coal) it
should have a bunker at the rear of the cab as well as some semblance of
straight sided water tanks built into the area in front of it. The Lego model
only suggests at these items but generally carries off the overall effect
quite well, given the constraints of size etc.

You may also have noticed that it does not ride too well on the track, this is
due to the short wheelbase and light weight which tends to lift the front
under acceleration (this is quite entertaining and should be encouraged of
course).

The lever at the front is 'realistic', if not in proportion, as real locos
have access hatches at the front of their smokeboxes which are opened
with......a lever.

For European prototypes it is more usual to have 2 seperate lights (sometimes
more) on the buffer beam and sometimes one at the top of the smokebox door,
although there are variants. The pictures I have of US locomotives generally
have a large single headlight mounted on the smokebox door and maybe some
smaller lights on the buffer beam.

Hope this helps

Jon

ps - I hate those stickers, don't you?