 Trains / 31126
Re: Toy Story Train comments?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2010 03:27:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, David Laswell wrote:

   I should point out that I made a few tweaks to the design. Instead of using non-friction axle-pins to hold the main driver wheels on, I’ve replaced them with red 6-long axles. Then I put some stud-pins in the drive wheels and used them to attach some 1x8 tiles. I don’t know the standard practice for how they pair those up, but I figured they wouldn’t both be at the same point in their rotation, so I’ve got them 90 degrees out of phase with each other for now. 180 degrees seems like it would be more likely (one piston extending while the other one retracts, so you’d just have to switch the flow of steam from one to the other).

No, 90 degrees is the norm for 2 cylinder locos, as Larry says it’s called “quartering” (because they are a quarter of a circle apart). It ensures that there is always at least one piston not at the end of it’s stroke.

ROSCO

I prefer to space mine at 270 degrees.

Tim