 Trains / 31116
Re: Toy Story Train comments?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 07:38:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Peter Naulls wrote:
On more practical matters, how about the motorization, and I presume the
unusual articulation (mentioned earlier) works fine on actual track.

Technically this engine has very ordinary articulation.  The "driver" bogey uses
a standard 4x6 bogey plate, and the front bogey is still attached with a
centered pin even if it's a bit higher than normal.

As for how it runs, another member of our club bought one and stuck a motor
bogey on the first car behind the engine.  I didn't actually get to see it run,
but I didn't hear any complaints, so I'd guess it ran okay.

For powering it, you've got three basic options that I can see.  Obviously,
since it's a steam train with bright red wheels, you can't simply put a 9v motor
bogey on the engine.  You can, however, put one on the first car behind the
engine, though all three cars are built with a wheelbase that's four studs
longer than the 9v motor bogey, so it'll look a bit goofy.  You can also add a
coal car behind the engine and put the motor bogey on that.  There's also a
possibility that the PF motor system could be built into the engine, but I've
never seen the parts in person so I'm not entirely sure what that would involve.