 Trains / 31057
Re: 8 Wide Steam Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:11:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Simpson wrote:
   Hello everyone!

I hope this post goes through.

Anyway, I only have one LEGO train set: Lego 4534-1 Express Deluxe that my wife got me for Christmas a few years back.

I have been ogling all the trains that you all have built throughout the years. I would like to try my hand at making a steam engine, and cars, like the ones in my set, but 8 wide.

I’ve been trying to find a web site that gives step-by-step instructions on how to buld 8 wide trains but haven’t found what I’m looking for. Is there a site out there you all would recommend?

Also, out of curiosity, the engine that came with my set is listed as #4186868 but I have also found it listed as 10205-1 Large Train Engine with Tender, Black. Is there a reason there would be two seperate numbers for the exact same thing?

Thanks for the help! Larry

Hello, Larry!

Ahhh, one of my favorite topics: 8 wide!

First, there is nothing really special about building 8 wide; it really is simply a difference of width by 2 studs. The reason one would consider building 8 wide instead of 6 wide is scale. If you figure that the actual gauge of train track is about 5 feet (4’ 8 1/2” US standard gauge, to be precise), and the typical car or loco is about 10 feet wide, then you figure that the train should be about twice the width of the track. LEGO track gauge is 5 studs, so for a train to be scale to the track, it should be about 9-10 studs wide. Problem with building to that size (among many) is that the wheels are not to scale (too small) and 10 wide trains built using them just look wonky. Eight wide seems like a good compromise between 6 and 10.

I figure that, for scaling purposes, use 1 stud = 1.3 feet (1 stud = 1 foot would be 10 wide scale).

In conclusion, building 8 wide is simply a scale choice, and really nothing more than that. So good luck with your MOC, and be sure to keep asking questions and posting pics!

JOHN