 Trains / 30743
30742  |  30744
Subject:
TTX 66ft Heavy Duty 4 Truck Flat Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 03:44:25 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

TTX 66ft Heavy Duty 4 Truck Flat Car

Designed with a load limit of 240 tons, these cars are equiped with a pair of high-capacity trucks at each end and have a large, flat center deck. Each pair of trucks is connected by a span bolster, which pivots on the bolster located on the body. This spreads the weight over eight axles to help prevent overloading. The overall height of the cars is also kept low to ease loading and unloading, and provide more overhead clearance. This leaves little room below the car, so separate air and handbrakes for each pair of trucks are carried on platforms at both ends.

Here is a photo of one of the real cars carrying a “heavy load”.

Though this car is a little outside of my preferred steam era I thought it was pretty neat and decided to build it. And as a little poetic justice for that photo above I may just strap a diesel to it and have one of my steam engines pull it around at the next show.

Flickr Gallery

Brickshelf Gallery

Cale