 Trains / 30559
30558  |  30560
Subject:
7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.reviews, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 03:55:20 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

RATINGS (Scale: Must-Have Excellent Very-Good Good Fair Poor)

Set: Excellent
Models: Fair
Playability: Poor

DECALS? No.

SPECIAL FEATURES/COMPATIBILITY
Trains - 9V (but not the old fashioned kind that need metal track)

SET DESCRIPTION
This set is sixteen pieces of LEGO track. It is moulded in the newer shade of dark grey, and, as a bonus includes four of those track pins which hold the track together for transport. The instructions direct the user to throw them away (them = the pins, not the instructions), but I have hung on to them, just in case.

The set comes in a box which holds all the elements and also contains the building instructions.

SPECIAL ELEMENTS
I consider all the elements in this set ‘special. They can be used to enhance almost any modern LEGO train layout, and many of the old ones besides. A particularly clever feature of the design is that the curves can be used either way (curve right or curve left), and the straights are similarly versatile (run right to left, or left to right).

IMPRESSION
Disappointingly, only half a circuit is included (hence the ‘poor’ play value rating above). However, a number of alternate layouts are possible, including ones shaped like ‘C’, ‘U’ and ‘n’. Unfortunately, no crossovers are included, so the full possiblities of the system are left unexplored.

Despite the inclusion of only half a circuit, this set has many more building possibilities than the other 9V IR track accessory sets.

Both modern 9V IR stock and 4.5V can use this track. I believe the future PF trains will use this style of track too.

CONCLUSION
You should by two of this set (particularly if you want a circuit). Kids will love it.

It appears that metal rails which were fairly popular for a while are a mere aberation - destined to be nothing more than a blip in the history of the company we know and love.

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

FUT .trains