 Trains / 30382
Re: NMRA 2008 report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:27:46 GMT

  • Weirdest moment(s): Convention Center attempted to install an ice cream stand inside the layout space. An hour later they attempted to install a bar in the same spot!

and I heard we were gonna get free ice cream (ok, it was really dipping dots)...with guys like us, I’m curious to see what the deal was with getting ice cream...we (as a group) could have potentially ate them out of their profit potential...which might have taught them a nice lesson at the end of the day...I’ll bet at least one person of our 50+ group would have had some kind of ice cream at any moment during the day...

I was glad to see KABC (local ABC affiliate) come out and interview a few folks (I think there were 2-3 of us interviewed. Upon seeing the Disneyland/Magic Kingdom layout, the producer commented “Parent Company will kill us if we don’t film this!! For those of you who don’t know, Disney owns ABC network, which also explains why a lot of movies and stuff on Disney Channel wind up on ABC family a few weeks/months later (but I digress).

I was interviewed by another cable network channel, which asked some pretty good general questions, and seemed a little more in depth than my KABC interview. (Granted, the KABC news reporter was cuter, but it was the cameraman asking the questions, and I think he was the producer, too)

I took some pictures all around the layout, and I know Todd Thuma took a LOT of pictures as well. My flickr account is just about full for a basic member, so I’ve got to figure out if I want to pay for a pro account or work something else.

All in all, a good show (even though I missed the group picture because I was getting a rental car at the time).

Thinking ahead: http://www.nmra.org/convention/

NMRA 2009: Hartford, CT (20 min from LEGO Americas HQ) July 5-11 NMRA 2010: Milwaukee WA July 10-18 (NMRA 75th Anniversary) NMRA 2011: Sacramento CA July 3-9 (and there might be something LEGO-related in the area by then... NMRA 2012: Grand Rapids, MI July 29-Aug 4th NMRA 2013: Atlanta GA July 14-20 (I believe Cobb Galleria is being targeted for the event...intersection of I-285 and I-75) (you can be sure I’ll be working with the LEGO Atlanta store to see if anything special can be done)

Scott