 Announcements / 3821
3820  |  3822
Subject:
NMRA 2008 report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains.org.scltc
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:55:43 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

As no one else has posted as of yet, here’s a brief report on the NMRA’s 2008 National Train Show held earlier this month:
  • Location: Hall D, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California
  • Dates: Exhibition July 18-20, 2008
  • Space allocation: 65 x 70 feet
  • LTCO clubs: 9 preregistered, 8 attended
  • ILTCO members: 68 preregistered, 50+ attended
  • Tables: 40 rented, 35 used plus 3 clubs brought their own
  • Barriers: 33 telescoping sections (10 foot maximum)
  • Running train loops: Approximately 16
  • Bridges 192 studs or longer: 6
  • Biggest faux pas: Billed on local television ads as “Lego miniland”
  • Weirdest moment(s): Convention Center attempted to install an ice cream stand inside the layout space. An hour later they attempted to install a bar in the same spot!
  • Host support: NMRA ran a well organized event with easy vehicle access to the layout, quick registration, easy exhibitor access, and good security. The only facility downside was $10 per entry parking
  • Paid attendance: 28,000
Special thanks to Steve Witt of LEGO for hosting the Thursday night pizza bash at BJs and providing all the great LEGO booty. Thanks to all the clubs and their members for coming from around the country and making this the largest LEGO train display ever held on the West Coast.

-Ted Michon
SCLTC