 Trains / 29656
Re: 9v train motor compared to IR train motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 00:09:39 GMT

Benn wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
Since I have only one IR-Controlled battery-powered (IR) motor, I
devised a totally unreasonable test, and then subjected an IR motor and
a 9v motor to the test.

[...]

This was a crude test, but it does reveal that at least on 9v motor that
I have out performs the one IR motor that I have. Extrapolate as you wish...

Chris

A good test of the two motors would be the identical train, with either the RC
or 9v motor. In either case power the motor from the RC battery box. To prevent
unintended resistance on the 9v motor, run it on RC track. Unfortunately, I
don't have the RC equipment to test it myself.

Benn

Benn,

   That would be a good test of the motors, my goal was to test make a
comparison between the two systems. Unfortunately, I don't have any RC
track anymore. I gave it my parents so they would have some track for a
10183-based push train for the grand kids.
   Further thought on the matter suggests that the train motor will get
a redesign, so comparisons between the two current motors may not be
particularly useful. Since the Power Function system uses different
connectors, either an adapter will be needed to make the old motor work
with the new wire, or the motor will need to be redesigned.

Chris
--
http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/lego/

Learn about brittle bone disease