 Trains / 29586
29585  |  29587
Subject:
9v train motor compared to IR train motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2007 16:30:30 GMT

Since I have only one IR-Controlled battery-powered (IR) motor, I
devised a totally unreasonable test, and then subjected an IR motor and
a 9v motor to the test.

On a small 10 x 6 oval I set up an 8-stud wide train. I set up my big
engine (8 x 59 studs) with one train motor and one dummy truck (usually
it runs with two motors). It's important to note that this engine also
has a technic motor in the cab driving exhaust fans and a light in the
cab. Behind the train, I placed eight cars: the battery car (just the
battery compartment, not the fully constructed engine) from the new
battery-powered freight train, three 8 x 40 boxcars, an 8 x 32 very
heavy tank car (built from slopes and strengthened with 2x4's), an 8 x
40 flat bed carrying a submersible, an 8 x 40 hopper, and an 8 x 40
caboose.

A single 9v train motor running at full throttle drove the train around
the loop in just over 10 seconds. The motor was obviously straining
under the load because it was going fairly slowly even though the power
supply was at full throttle. I only ran the train for a few minutes (I
just wanted to see if the a single 9v motor could move the train).

A single IR motor using a fresh set of Duracel alkaline batteries (I
don't have enough NiMH batteries) ran the train around the loop in about
13 seconds. Unfortunately, the train slowed to a stop after only a
couple of minutes even though the fans kept running.

This was a crude test, but it does reveal that at least on 9v motor that
I have out performs the one IR motor that I have. Extrapolate as you wish...

Chris
--
http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/lego/

Learn about brittle bone disease