 Trains / 29415
Re: London Underground Standard Tube Stock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.underground
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:47:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Tabner wrote:
   This is my most recent tube train. I haven’t had much time to build recently so I’ve been putting more stuff online.

The Standard tube stock dates back to the 1920s. It was a series of tube stocks which were designed to be cross-compatable. The first was the 1923 prototype stock. That and the subsequent stocks produced through to 1930 were intended for operation on the Edgeware, Highgate and Morden (now called Northern), Bakerloo and Piccadilly lines. The 1931 and ‘34 stocks were built additionally for the Piccadilly line extension.

SNIP!

My model is based on the early 1923/25 stocks, utilising the early livery - which happens to be my favourite. As with my other tube stock models the motor is hidden beneath a skirt . The blank section behind the cab on the driving motor cars is where the control and switching gear was located, in all subsequent stocks this was relocated to the chassis as the equipment became more compact. The upswept frame beneath the control gear was because the driving bogie there had 3ft wheels, as opposed to the 2ft8 ones characteristic of tube stocks.

This model was first displayed at the Brickish Association 2007 AGM and has since been displayed at Petersfield Lego Show and Merrist Wood and Twyford Lego displays.

PLMKWYT

Thanks, David

David:

Nice work! I love the general shape of those cars and the use of the smaller train wheels is spot-on. One question. You mentioned the motor in the actual cars being hidden beneath a skirt. Is this true on your model as well? Do these MOC’s actually have a Lego 9V motor in them? If not, do you have plans to motorize them?

By the way, the first time I glanced at this post I thought the title was “London Underground Standard Tube Sock”. I laughed so hard...and then realized what a dork I am.

Nice work!

-Dave Sterling