 Trains / 29296
Re: How much does a weight brick weigh?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 21:33:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Laswell wrote:
Q: How much would a weight brick weigh, if a weight brick could weigh weight?

A: Pretty much half of what I needed.  I got two weight bricks today, and while
they may not be the exact perfect amount of counterbalancing, they are
sufficient for the task, and the project I was working on is now nicely
balanced.

Interestingly enough, they don't seem to be filled with lead as I'd originally
suspected (environmentally friendly?).  I held one up against one of those
little round LEGO magnets, and it sticks, so it's either iron or steel inside.

This reply may be useless for you since you got the weight brick, but it can be
useful for those who don't have any:
Brick 2x4 is not the ideal part for adding weight because it's hollow. Plates
have definitely more ABS per volume unit. 24 plates 1x1 have the same dimensions
as 1 brick 2x4, but they weigh more than double weight of it (according to
Bricklink). Nevertheless, the amount of plates 1x1 needed to counterweight the
weight brick would still occupy about 4x more volume than the weight brick.