 Trains / 29290
Re: Paging Tim Gould, Paging Tim Gould....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:01:19 GMT

John wrote:
I'd really appreciate your help, Tim.  As you now know, I'm a Mac person and so
I never got into MLCAD, and haven't really explored Bricksmith too much.  Ross,
however, has puttered in MLCAD, and can create models fine (although he needs to
learn LSynth), he hasn't been able to figure out how to {render} very well yet.
He read <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=163897 Koyan's
tutorial>, but the best he could produce from that was
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/J-2/8wide/00000051.png this>.

You make some of the nicest renderings I've seen, and so what I'm wondering is
whether you'd be willing to share your secrets?  I'm sure that there are [a lot]
of folks who'd be very interested in your expertise....

[JOHN]

John,

   I am in no way a POV-Ray expert (I'm pretty much a novice) but I have
done it on a Mac. The tools I use after putting together the model using
ldglite or MacBrickCAD or Bricksmith are the Mac OS X version of L3P,
POV-Ray 3.6, and TextWrangler.

L3P is a command line executable that you can run from the terminal. I
usually run L3P to generate a POV file. I use very few flags (optional
commands) in L3P because I don't know many.

Once if have the pov file I open it with a text editor on go to the
section that looks like this

// Background:
background { color rgb <1,1,1>}

// Camera (Latitude,Longitude,Radius = 30,45,0)
camera {
#declare PCT = 0; // Percentage further away
#declare STEREO = 0; // Normal view
//#declare STEREO =  degrees(atan2(1,12))/2; // Left view
//#declare STEREO = -degrees(atan2(1,12))/2; // Right view
location vaxis_rotate(<0,-104,-2000> + PCT/100.0*<949.98,-775.655,-949.98>,
                      <-736856,-1.80492e+006,736856>,STEREO)

sky      -y
right    -4/3*x
look_at  <0,-104,-400> // calculated
angle    20
rotate   <0,1e-5,0> // Prevent gap between adjecent quads
//orthographic
}

// Lights:
light_source {
<0,-1167.94,936.942>  // Latitude,Longitude,Radius: 45,0,1551.31
color rgb <1,1,1>
}

Here is where I putter around changing things like
-the "background color", each value varies from 0 to 1 where 0 is off
and 1 is on for that color
-the "location vaxis_rotate", which sets the camera position. I've only
changed the values in the first set of "<>". I have no idea what the
others do
-the angle, which sets the focal length of the camera
-and the "look_at" position
You can also adjust the lighting and add lights if you want by typing in
there positions and color values.

Then after puttering around I run the file through POV-Ray. I usually do
a small image to see if I like the result and if I do I scale it up and
run it again. It's a lot of trial and error, but it can get you familiar
with the guts of rendering before you take on more complicated projects
like the stuff Tim does.

As I said, I'm no master, but I have been able to produce a few decent
renderings

http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/SD40-2r2_w_track_low.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/SD40-2r2_w_track.jpg

(These links might not be valid for long if I start running out of
server space.)

Chris

--
http://mysite.verizon.net/cjmasi/lego/