 Trains / 28970
Re: Ross Neal goes 6 wide! {:-0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 05:50:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:

Sooo, now he needed some trains to run on it.  So, to scale, if the rails are
3 studs apart, a train should be about.....6 wide!  So now the project became
finding a way to power an engine around the track.  And he came up with a
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2393526 great design>,
although ultimately, the LEGO motors simply aren't powerful enough to do what
he wanted them to do.

He was able to get the loco and its battery box boxcar to run around the
track, but that was all the motor was able to pull.  Overall, it was a
disappoint for Ross, because he was ready to build an entire layout based on
the 3 stud gauge!

So, the project ended with a whimper, but I finally snapped some pics (some a
bit large, in order to show detail) to illustrate the way he powered his
truck. Nice stuff.

Not to parade on the rain, but I don't suppose you tried putting rubber bands or
something to increase the friction between the plastic wheels and plastic rails?
You know, like the good old 4.5v motor wheels.

Benn