 Trains / 28927
28926  |  28928
Subject:
Ross Neal goes 6 wide! {:-0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:58:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

This is a little project Ross began last year that I never got around to documenting. He was tinkering as usual, and figured out a way to lay the old 4.5 volt battery train rails 3 studs apart and make a complete loop. Here is a pic of just a curve:

Sooo, now he needed some trains to run on it. So, to scale, if the rails are 3 studs apart, a train should be about.....6 wide! So now the project became finding a way to power an engine around the track. And he came up with a great design, although ultimately, the LEGO motors simply aren’t powerful enough to do what he wanted them to do.

He was able to get the loco and its battery box boxcar to run around the track, but that was all the motor was able to pull. Overall, it was a disappoint for Ross, because he was ready to build an entire layout based on the 3 stud gauge!

So, the project ended with a whimper, but I finally snapped some pics (some a bit large, in order to show detail) to illustrate the way he powered his truck. Nice stuff.

Also, check out the new pinstriping on his dark red Hogwarts Express.

All pics HERE

JOHN