 Trains / 28911
Re: A few Norwegian MOCs & a DCC-question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:22:53 GMT

On 2007-03-21, Chris Phillips <drvegetable@comcast.net> wrote:

Wow!  These are some very nice-looking designs.  Thanks for sharing these!

You're welcome.  And thanks :)

I have only used DCC a little (I do have a couple DZ123's) and never experienced
these problems myself, but I do recall the discussion.  I was wondering what you
are using for a DCC controller?  Are you using Mark Riley's LDCC firmware
running on an RCX, or are you using a commercial DCC controller?  If LDCC, are
you using a version 1.0 RCX powered from the AC adapter port?

LDCC + RCX 1.0, yes.

To isolate the problem, you might try running one set of motors until the
slowdown occurs, then switch over to the other set of motors.  If the fresh set
of motors immediately exhibit the same problem then the cause is most likely in
the master DCC controller; if they work at normal speed then the cause is
probably overheating of the individual DZ123 units.

Yes, that is what I intended to try to do next... that is, after I unpack
everything from the moving-boxes ;)  I will also test them with some lighter
trains.

However, I do recall having two smaller trains running smoothly on a separate
track section, powered by the same RCX and using LokSound decoders (gosh, I love
those, but they're so damn expensive and hard to get here).  If my memory indeed
is correct, I would guess it is not the RCX who is the problem... but I'll have
to test it again.

Also remember: when pulling a train using two motors that if one motor slows
down, the other motor will have to do more work and will overheat more quickly.
This could explain why all your motors seem to die at the same time.

Good point.

--
Matija