 Trains / 28728
Re: Canadian National ES44DC in 7-wide
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 17:58:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D’Urbano wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
   PIC

BS

Flickr

Hi all,

Back with another American loco. Was going to do a Dash-9 but figured I might as well be environmentally friendly and try its successor instead.

I’ve always wanted to to do the nose bonnet of these with the proper double angle and I’m fairly happy with the solution on this but it did require going to 7-wide. Other than that I think the only other bit that is of much interest is the way I did the vertical bars of the handrails.

Hope you like it.

Tim

Hi Paul,

   Hi Tim,

This is great! I’m always happy to see you turn your talent on a North American locomotive. All of your work is great, I’m just a big NA freight fan, so I get extra excited about that stuff.

Thanks.

--snip--
   Maybe you think I’m nutty for describing the loco as having a face, but it’s the best way I can think to describe it.

Not at all. The face of any loco is usually the first thing I start with. In this case I started with the nose and maybe I... cut off the nose to spite the face... sorry, couldn’t resisit.

   You nailed the nose perfectly but it seems to me the “eyes” aren’t exactly right. By eyes I mean the front cab windows. Compared to the proto pic link you put in Flickr the height of the cab windows relative to the height of the nose seems off. Not sure if it would work, but have you tried raising the nose up by one plate relative to the rest of the locomotive?

I think you’re right. I was trying to get a little obscuring of the windscreen but looking more carefully I see that it isn’t the bonnet which obscures it but the windscreen wiper hoods. Well spotted.

   Thanks for sharing this and all of your other fantastic designs!

You’re welcome. Thanks for commenting.

   Regards,
Paul

Tim