 Trains / 28427
Re: End of line : Buffer stops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:19:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote:

   With the help of Tim, I’ve translated Erik Amzallag article about bumpers. The english version It’s a brief review of what has been done on the subject.

There are some nice ideas there - I particularly like the chequered stop marker.

Here’s my version of a very old British wooden type:

The dark grey plate and slope aren’t really part of the design, but they do give it a lot more stopping power.

It’s in use in this picture:
Siding buffers

I’d first seen Huw Millington using the boat studs (listed on LDRAW as a ‘dish’ for some reason) as buffers. Here’s one of his shock-absorbing designs:
Shock absorbing buffer

The most impressive way I found of stopping a train was simply a 2x2 brick on the track. I once ran a small shunting engine (0-4-0, based on single motor) at one at full speed during a display. Mark Palmer dived to catch it, but the brick stopped it dead.

Of course, if you’ve got some of this track you don’t need buffers...

Jason R

Re: End of line : Buffer stops
In lugnet.trains, Jason J Railton wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote:

   With the help of Tim, I’ve translated Erik Amzallag article about bumpers. The english version It’s a brief review of what has been done on the subject.

There are some nice ideas there - I particularly like the chequered stop marker.

Here’s my version of a very old British wooden type:

The dark grey plate and slope aren’t really part of the design, but they do give it a lot more stopping power.

Nice ! Thanks for sharing.

It’s in use in this picture:
Siding buffers

I’d first seen Huw Millington using the boat studs (listed on LDRAW as a ‘dish’ for some reason)

I do prefer form-based names for parts rather than use-based names. Inverted 2x2 dishes are boat studs only when used .... as a boat stud

   as buffers.

QED

   Here’s one of his shock-absorbing designs:
Shock absorbing buffer

If Huw reads these lines, it will be nice of him to share with us some details. The shock absorbing mechanism is not clear to me from the picture.

The most impressive way I found of stopping a train was simply a 2x2 brick on the track. I once ran a small shunting engine (0-4-0, based on single motor) at one at full speed during a display.

Worth noticing - I’m afraid it hurts too much the parts in contact.

   Mark Palmer dived to catch it,

I hope he’s ok and that nothing stopped him dead :-)

   but the brick stopped it dead.

Of course, if you’ve got some of this track you don’t need buffers...

Only true for the functional part of the use - not for the decorative use of buffers stops. Very interesting link for modders.

I have some translation work now from english into french :-)

Jason R

Re: End of line : Buffer stops
   I do prefer form-based names for parts rather than use-based names. Inverted 2x2 dishes are boat studs only when used .... as a boat stud

Yes, but that’s what LEGO use them for 90% of the time, and what everyone calls them. It took me ages to find them in the parts list. I had to use Google to find the part number, then search for that in MLCAD.

   as buffers.

QED

Not funny.

   Here’s one of his shock-absorbing designs:
Shock absorbing buffer

If Huw reads these lines, it will be nice of him to share with us some details. The shock absorbing mechanism is not clear to me from the picture.

The ‘BOAT STUDS’ are on the end of axles, which go through technic 1x1 bricks and are linked by a bar across the back. I seem to remember there’s an elastic band to hold them in place and absorb any impact.

   Mark Palmer dived to catch it,
I hope he’s ok and that nothing stopped him dead :-)

Well, it was one of those feeble school-football goalkeeper dives, where you actually just take a big step to the side. I’m not sure he’d have made it anyway...

   Of course, if you’ve got some of this track you don’t need buffers...

Only true for the functional part of the use - not for the decorative use of buffers stops. Very interesting link for modders.

I have some translation work now from english into french :-)

Ooh, I always find that so much more difficult... ;-)

Jason R