 Trains / 28427
Re: End of line : Buffer stops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:19:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote:

   With the help of Tim, I’ve translated Erik Amzallag article about bumpers. The english version It’s a brief review of what has been done on the subject.

There are some nice ideas there - I particularly like the chequered stop marker.

Here’s my version of a very old British wooden type:

The dark grey plate and slope aren’t really part of the design, but they do give it a lot more stopping power.

It’s in use in this picture:
Siding buffers

I’d first seen Huw Millington using the boat studs (listed on LDRAW as a ‘dish’ for some reason) as buffers. Here’s one of his shock-absorbing designs:
Shock absorbing buffer

The most impressive way I found of stopping a train was simply a 2x2 brick on the track. I once ran a small shunting engine (0-4-0, based on single motor) at one at full speed during a display. Mark Palmer dived to catch it, but the brick stopped it dead.

Of course, if you’ve got some of this track you don’t need buffers...

Jason R