 Trains / 28153
28152  |  28154
Subject:
CAD sketches of Swedish and one Danish train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:00:44 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello!

I’ve not been doing any Lego-building or -CADding for a very long time now, and I’ve come to realize that I probably won’t be doing it for a long time to come either.

So finally I decided to post a couple of half-finished CAD sketches of locomotives and waggons, which have been dormant on my hard drive for about a year. I do this in the hope that someone may be inspired by them in their current state.

They are in different stages of completion. My preferred design process has been first to find out what pieces give me the most perfect look, and then only secondly trying to puzzle out how to make those pieces stick together without the help of any glue or other cheating. If it’s simply a question of inventing some ingenious SNOT then my experience has been that a solution can almost always be found -- although all the head ache about this tends to transforms the construction process during that stage from being a creative endeavour into being more of a mathematical puzzle.

Sometimes the ideas may look more impossible or badly thought out than I really know them to be (except I have forgotten a lot of what I was thinking during this year of dormancy) since my thought out solutions simply haven’t made it into the CAD file. In any case, if something should inspire or puzzle you, feel free to ask me about how I was thinking. I also had a lot of wild ideas about motorizing and articulation of these models, which really could only be experimented with in real bricks.

Click here for the gallery! (all photos of real trains are used totally without permission, since I couldn’t remember from where I got them originally)

Some information about the models:

The Dm3 is a rather unique monster of a tripartite electrical locomotive with connecting rods, still being used (although not for much longer) on the Ore Line between mines in Kiruna and Svappavara in northern Sweden, and the harbours in Luleå, Sweden and Narvik, Norway. I had a lot of untested ideas, some of which are hinted about in the CAD file, about technical details about close coupling, about how to create something which looks like a passage between the sections, and about how the whole thing should be motorized (I was thinking about three batterized Technic motors, but of course nowadays some molested 9V battery plate/plates and the train motors are also a possibility). The construction problems of the SNOT in the front are more or less solved in the CAD file, I believe.

The T46 is a large (for European standards) diesel electric locomotive, built with licenced GM technology, used for switching on the Ore Line. Most of the construction problems are solved, except for exactly what technique should be used to articulate the six-wheel boogies.

Another Ore Line switcher which is so unnotable that it hasn’t even ever gotten a formal name, but is simply called “Motala” since it was made at a factory called Motala Mechanical Shop. I chose to model it since it has such a really distinctive look, among other things due to the fact that it has weights on its sides in order to get better traction. I know I had a solution for all the snot in the cabin. The loco is too long for it to be possible to simply put magnets at the ends, so the magnets need to be articulated in some way. Solutions are hinted at in the CAD file. Also if it’s going to have four couples of wheels like the original then those need to be able to slide a bit. But that should be comparatively easy to accomplish.

The Ore Line was electrified really early (in the 1910’s, I believe) and locomotives like Littera Oa were used, among some other kinds of locos, for the first fifty years or so after the electrification. They could be said to have been responsible for prolonging both World War I and World War II, since neutral Sweden was unscrupulously exporting iron ore to both sides of the wars, getting pretty wealthy by doing so. There are no hard construction problems in this one... but on the other hand -- who’s using 12V motors these days?

And finally a locomotive which was never ever used on the Swedish Ore Line:

The DSB litra E locos were originally Swedish littera F, but were sold to Denmark when Sweden’s railway mainlined had been electrified in the 1930’s. The Danes liked the locomotives so much that they built many more locomotives of the same sort. It has a rather distinctive look -- some think it’s the most beautiful steamer ever, others think its small attempts at “streamlining” look silly and weird. All construction problems in this sketch are completely unsolved.

There are also some sketches of waggons for these locos in the gallery.