 Trains / 27913

Subject:
Pictures from GWLTS-IV (Swindon, UK)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:19:47 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Dear All

I’m pleased to announce pictures of the fourth Great Western LEGO Train Show at STEAM, the Museum of the Great Western Railway in Swindon, UK. The event took place on Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th October and saw over 2600 visitors through the doors.

The display was built by six individuals: Chris Dee, Justin Dee, Martin Long, Huw Millington, Mark Palmer and Jason Railton. Thanks also go to Dean Earley who provided rolling stock and another pair of hands to operate the layout whilst we talked to the visitors.

For those people who like to put faces to names, here we are: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2062030

Left > Right: Dean Earley, Martin Long, Mark Palmer, Justin Dee, Huw Millington, Jason Railton, Chris Dee.

There were loads of little highlights - far too many to mention. Take a look at the pictures and see if you can spot the details that caught other people’s eye. Everything was there for a reason - you just need to work out what that reason was! We also had a permanently live traincam showing a minifig-eye view of the layout, which was hugely popular with the visitors.

Martin’s photo gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=209070

Huw’s photo gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=209425

Mark’s photo gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=209579

Enjoy!

Martin Long
GWLTS-IV co-ordinator
Member of the Brickish Association

Re: Pictures from GWLTS-IV (Swindon, UK)
I’m pleased to announce pictures of the fourth Great Western LEGO Train Show at STEAM, the Museum of the Great Western Railway in Swindon, UK. The event took place on Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th October and saw over 2600 visitors through the doors.

Brilliant work, guys! Your layout is filled with many stunning MOCs in stunning colors that really is very pleasing in appearance. It seems to me to be more asthetically pleasing to present a layout in-line rather than in a large rectangular-type format. Unless the backdrops for a large, enclosed layout is extensive, I think the “background noise” of the other side is too distracting and detracts from the overall presentation. Does that make any sense? I mean, this is so nice (apart from the vagrant sleeping in the back....just kidding, Dean:-) having a “quiet” background of the wall to allow the viewer to focus on the layout and appreciate it more fully.

Kudos from across the pond! Thanks for sharing!

JOHN

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2061989 this> is so nice (apart
from the vagrant sleeping in the back....just kidding, Dean:-) having a "quiet"
background of the wall to allow the viewer to focus on the layout and appreciate
it more fully.

Thanks for that John, it does seem to work well.
I suppose the Lego shows over here tend to be one group in a smallish
area whereas yours are lots of groups in a HUGE hall making linear
layouts impractical.

Oh yeah, my brother was banned from the second day :D (Well, He had
other things on anyway)

ps, my photos are all available at:
http://personal.earlsoft.co.uk/gallery.php/LEGO/GWLTS%204/

--
Dean Earley (dean@earlsoft.co.uk)

irc:    irc://irc.blitzed.org/
web:    http://personal.earlsoft.co.uk
phone:  +44 (0)780 8369596

Re: Pictures from GWLTS-IV (Swindon, UK)
   Brilliant work, guys! Your layout is filled with many stunning MOCs in stunning colors that really is very pleasing in appearance. It seems to me to be more asthetically pleasing to present a layout in-line rather than in a large rectangular-type format. Unless the backdrops for a large, enclosed layout is extensive, I think the “background noise” of the other side is too distracting and detracts from the overall presentation. Does that make any sense? I mean, this is so nice (apart from the vagrant sleeping in the back....just kidding, Dean:-) having a “quiet” background of the wall to allow the viewer to focus on the layout and appreciate it more fully.

Kudos from across the pond! Thanks for sharing!

JOHN

Thanks John! In-line layouts just happen to suit the venues we usually display in. The problem tends to be trains being out of sight as they could be 15m+ away from you. We solve that problem by having a couple of joined in-line layouts that seamlessly integrate (but are not necessarily connected by track) and also placing controllers in a reasonably central position.

The STEAM museum is a fantastic place and our display is very fitting there. I like your comment about the absence of background noise, but did you notice what was behind the visitors? That takes some ignoring...or our display is even more impressive :-) OK, we can dream!

Martin

was <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2071050 behind> the
visitors?  That takes some ignoring...or our display is even more impressive :-)
OK, we can dream!

Well, Caerphilly Castle doesn't change and grow every year (and it
doesn't move :D

--
Dean Earley, Dee (dean@earlsoft.co.uk)

[...]

You might try tossing more than one train on a line, but that gets pretty labor-intensive having to mind it constantly...

   The STEAM museum is a fantastic place and our display is very fitting there. I like your comment about the absence of background noise, but did you notice what was behind the visitors? That takes some ignoring...or our display is even more impressive :-) OK, we can dream!

lol, actually, that is perfect, because it is behind everyone, and a big draw to get the crowds in the doors. That’s probably really nice for you guys to stare at all day:-)

Which makes me think: has there been any talk around the island about where the Hogwarts Express will end up after all of her Hollywood work is over? I hope it is in a nice venue such as STEAM.

JOHN

[...]

Actually we do tend to run multiple trains per track, including lightning runs by the ghost train. It works pretty well untill Martin introduces his IR train...

   snip<

   Which makes me think: has there been any talk around the island about where the Hogwarts Express will end up after all of her Hollywood work is over? I hope it is in a nice venue such as STEAM.

JOHN

“Hogwarts Expres” lives in Scotland.... http://www.steamtrain.info/harry.htm and is owned by a commercial company. Although it is an ex GWR loco so could have a place at Steam (“The Museum of the Great Western Railway”).

Mark

[...]

In front of the coaling stage is a remote-controlled passing loop with signals. I was using that to trap and release a second train (like Percy or the Rocket) on the line, though you can’t always do that when some of the bigger trains are already pulling with three motors.

The IR train is ideal to run on the same track as something else. It’s a mistake to try and juggle its position with the stepped IR controller though. You get much more precise control by setting its speed then varying the speed of the 9V train with the track controller.

Ivor was running, although putting BBB wheels on an IR motor just exacerbates the power issues. It slows right down on the long turns, then accelerates along the straights. If you take it up a notch it keeps going through the corners but gets dangerously fast on the straights, making it hard to keep two trains apart (or keep the IR train together!). Obviously it’s easier to manage if you have the right size wheels on the motor in the first place, but the IR system is affected by corners more than the 9V.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be able to sort my photos until after Legoworld.

Jason R