 Trains / 27728
27727  |  27729
Subject:
IR train base alternative
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce, lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:58:03 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hey all, Well I’m at it again. This time I bring you something with more usability. As most of you reading this should know the Lego Company recently released 2 IR train sets. While the idea is great, the implementation left much to be desired. The main issue with the IR train is the train base, which holds the electronics. “The base is 6 studs wide by 30 long with a 4x10 stud blob protruding from the center” This train base while engineered for ease of use by kids, is extremely limiting for those who wish to build realistic and or custom models. To address this issue I began thinking of ideas and came up with the solution shown further down.

To start I disassembled the train base by taking out the 8 extremely tight screws I then removed the circuit board and soldered on a diode bridge (bridge rectifier) in place of the 2 tin battery pack leads. Now basically what this means is no matter what the polarity is going into the IR unit, the voltage going into the circuit board remains the same. This protects the circuit board and makes it idiot friendly. =). The next thing I did was solder on wires for both the input and output for the IR unit. “I used a plug from a 9v train transformer to differentiate the “in” from “out”. I then extended the wires for the IR receiver eyes and made the 4x10x4plate high case to put everything in. last but not least I changed the red LED to yellow so I can use it for a cab light or headlight(1).

What does all of this mean?

The user of this IR unit is now able to build virtually any model he or she wishes too around it. Steam engines are possible, models aren’t limited to the 30-stud base, you can control a monorail, you can build a 12stud long engine, you can animate something on your layout, space ship exc., you can build a 4-wide Moc around it, and last but not least you may be able to use it with Mindstorms.

Here you can see the complete unit in its case. The yellow lead is the input, black is the output. I will be marking all future units “in and out” with a paint pen. You can also see the 2 IR eyes mounted to the 2x4 plates. I later realized, after I built the IR eye mounts, that 1x4 plates would make more sense.

Here are just a few ways you can use the IR unit. Keep in mind that any power provided from a 9v train motor would have to come from a case with the motor striped out.

Your opinion??

Ok so I’m curious as to what you really think of this. Do you love it/ hate it? Please share your ideas as it will help me help you.

Product ideas

I will probably sell these but I need some feedback. Is this something you would want? Would you prefer I sell them preassembled or should I sell just instructions? Any ideas/opinions on this would be great as well.

Ondrew

(1). Lego fiber optic would easily transfer the light to the headlight area of your model.