 Trains / 27426
Re: Attaching track to surface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2006 22:19:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mitchell Lichtenberg wrote:
This train newbie needs advice about attaching track to the layout surface.  A
6' x 12' layout with 250 pieces of track has to be reassembled daily for several
weeks.  This is a camp activity and I fear the track won't take the punishment
that 10 year olds will give it in such a process, so I am looking for ways to
secure most of the track to 2 x 6 framed panels leaving out those pieces which
meet at the joints. I can bolt the panels together with much of the track
already installed (lightly screwed down to the surface), but from what I read
here, I'm still going to have major problems getting track to match up at the
joints.  Has anyone done anything like this?  Any suggestions would be a help.
"Don't do it!" is not a helpful answer!  Thanks

I've never done it either, but one possibility might be to set it up once then
cut notches in the panels where they meet deep enough to take some kind of
locating device (dowel perhaps?). That way you can make sure they always line up
the same and you shouldn't have too much problem matching up the track.

ROSCO