 Trains / 26778
Subject:
2 SNOT-heavy MOCs: Open wagon and WAG-7 Class
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.schleim
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:18:20 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Well okay they’re both CAD but I’m reasonably sure the construction techniques work. First on my list is this wagon inspired by the very talented misterzumbi’s box car:

Long story short: Tim G. figured the SNOTing used to get the ribs on the car involved 1x1 bricks with studs on sides somewhere; a part that’s hard to come by in large quantities. The general consensus between us was that there was no way to work out a cheaper solution to achieve the same ribbings, when poof! A week later I had one. The basic principle behind it can be understood by viewing this and this. No idea if it’s been done before though... so if it has, sorry! Also note that the ‘access ladder’ was done by wedging a window frame into a 1x2 grille tile. Although this can be done, (minimal) warping on the grille tile is a side effect.

Next up is a loco that’s a totally new width: 8 studs + 1 tile wide. Check it out (post mod):

I was also happy about how my bogies turned out. I must’ve rebuilt them like a dozen times. The final solution was found by having a signal mast running the length of the bogie so that the centre wheelset could be left floating. A 1/2 stud offset using 1x2 door rails on either sides holds it in place.

The basic chassis design for both models is the same. It’s done by using beams to run the length of the model, and 2x2 tiles with the lifting ring providing anchorage for bogies and underside details.

Comments appreciated.

Legoswami

Re: 2 SNOT-heavy MOCs: Open wagon and WAG-7 Class
Crap... Sorry about replying to my own post, but I forgot the credits: The loco headlamp was basically done by Tim Gould, (thanks!) and the window-as-ladder is taken off of Beat Felber’s work.

Legoswami

Re: WAG-7 Class
   Next up is a loco that’s a totally new width: 8 studs + 1 tile wide. Check it out (post mod):

I was also happy about how my bogies turned out. I must’ve rebuilt them like a dozen times. The final solution was found by having a signal mast running the length of the bogie so that the centre wheelset could be left floating. A 1/2 stud offset using 1x2 door rails on either sides holds it in place.

The basic chassis design for both models is the same. It’s done by using beams to run the length of the model, and 2x2 tiles with the lifting ring providing anchorage for bogies and underside details.

Comments appreciated.

Legoswami

I like it!

You have captured the locomotive very well, and it has grown on me the more I have looked at it.

I would be hard-pressed to call it “beautiful”, though: the prototype feels to me as something of a freak-showish monster:

An electric

that looks like some of the ugliest of the British diesels,

but even then not so but like something totally of its own kind,

big as an American diesel

and painted in the colors of the American dream,

the pattern of the vents on its sides reminiscent of the broadside of a ...

well ...

/Martin