 Trains / 25980
25979  |  25981
Subject:
Motorized Maintenance Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:00:40 GMT

A few months ago I had a Lego electric cable (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/5306b) get cut. This left me with two half cables. Somehow I got the idea that if I stripped the insulation off, I could use one of the broken bits to power a technic motor off from a train track.

I built a small ugly truck to test the idea. I let the bare ends of the cable trail along the two rails, connected the brick end to a motor, and drove the rear wheels using a worm gear. It worked, but not very well. The loose wires didn’t stay connected to the rails consistently enough to drive the truck.

I tossed the vehicle into the “seemed like a good idea” bin.

On a whim, I dug it out again last night to see if I could get it working. Turns out, a technic liftbar with a little bit of tinfoil attached to the bare wires was all I needed. The tinfoil rides flat along the rails, sending power to the cable attached to the motor. Not pure, and not elegant, but functional.

Here’s the brickshelf folder, including an AVI of the truck in action.

Now that I know the concept works, I may have to try building it into a better looking vehicle, like this one by Pierre Normandin:

Comments and suggestions welcome!

-Elroy