 Trains / 25978
Re: Interesting train on BS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:10:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
AT@ wrote:

Sorry if I'm stealing anyones thunder, but I thought people might like to
take a look at the train in this
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=147038 BS gallery (Duq)>.
I really like the sub-stud offsetting effect used for the front windscreen
and many other design elements.

And to Duq, could you please post details about the model and prototype if
you read this.

Since Duq doesn't follow LUGNET and the model was already announced on
LOWLUG :

Duq built this train for the Rail 2004 exhibit in the Netherlands
It's a dutch "Motorpost" postal train in it's last common livery (yes, an
awful amount of stickers went into it) It's SNOT'ted to the max, and the
matching postwagon as well.

More pictures of the real Motorpost can be found at :
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/nl/electric/mail/pix.html

More info at LOWLUG:
http://www.lowlug.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2343
That'll be Rail 2005 thank you ;-)
Actually I'm planning a different train altogether but a lack of red windows
(and funds to do something about that) made me change my plan...
As Jan Albert said it's a post train. They were used in the Netherlands until
about 1997. Dutch postal services (then called PTT Post) have most of their
larger sorting centers at strategic points along the rail network. Rolling
containers with mail were easily loaded and unloaded at dedicated platforms.
Most of the train was used for cargo but there was a little room for some postal
staff to do some sorting along the way. There's also a toilet.
When they were first delivered they were brown. Later they received the livery
that I've copied. It wasn't the easiest to make -it took me three nights to
create the stickers (long live Paint Shop Pro) and two nights to apply them. But
I think they make for a striking model!
The train is 7 wide and that was mainly dictated by the front windscreen. As a
challenge I decided to do the panels between the sliding doors slightly
recessed. The offset is actually 1/5 stud. I'll do a section in MLCAD later to
show the inside. Same applies to the cabin doors. Behind the windows in the real
train are venetian blinds as you can see in this picture:
http://www.gironet.nl/home/railbase/mp3000-01.jpg
I've used 1x2 grill bricks for this. Again I needed SNOT to get them behind the
windows. All this internal SNOT makes for a fairly heavy train...
In this picture you can see the train in part of our layout:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Duq/Motorpost/rail2005_km_14.jpg
To the left you can just about see my other new MOC for this show: a little blue
hopper. I'll post a new topic for that later.
In this picture you can see the postman on board the train:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Duq/Motorpost/img_2369_crop.jpg
The window to his left is where the toilet is. Like in the rail train it's
white. Guess what the grey pipe below is for...
Because of the tight curves in Lego track I've shortened the train by leaving
out one set of doors.
Last but not least I want to thank James Mathis for his brilliant pantograph
design which I've used for this train.

Duq