 Trains / 25960
25959  |  25961
Subject:
Simple idea for level crossing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:37:20 GMT

Hi!

I got an idea for an automatic level crossing - a simple one with lights
only.

It is based on the motors possibility to supply power through the wheels.
The idea is to cut a short distance (e.g. 1 cm) of track, so we can use that
as a sensor (I was thinking of another bridge and a otcocoupler). When the
motor passes, it will supply power to that point for a short while, a
signal, that there is something.
I use this to start a D-flip-flop, which enables the output of an oscillator
for a LED (or 2) as the light of the signal.

The power is from the track to.

The track needs to pieces with a short cut of e.g. 1 cm. The track should be
connected, except for the 2 parts for sensors (one on each side of the
crossing). They should be connected, and used as the signal input.

The schematic of the electronic parts is here:
( http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sonnich/gallery/level_crossing.jpg )

It is pretty simple, but I have not build it myself. Feel free to do so. It
is kept simple, needs only wirering to the track, and should work on the
power from track. It is automatic, will stop when R6/C1 is set to. R7/C2
defined the frequensy. R1-5, T1-2,D5-6 picks up the signal from the track.

Sonnich