 Trains / 25957
Re: Train Factory palette
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:04:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Jake McKee wrote:

snip

   In general, I’d love to open this conversation up to the community at large. We’ve had quite a bit of conversation (as SteveB can attest) with the Signal group about what parts are the “core” parts that are needed to make trains. We have an initial palette, and I may be able to share that later. But before I do that, I’d really like to hear from the greater community. What do you think? What parts (not necessarily “train” parts) are needed to create the widest variety of trains possible?

Here’s another go with some parts ideas to support building trains.

Fun discussion!

Ooh, I like your V2... it has lots of parts that non trainies would like too (they can trade off the few train specific things like wheels...)

Some nits to pick

I think I’d go with more large windows than small, maybe 2:1? Have to agree on the colors, earth tones are where it’s at.

i agree on the ratio 2:1 but for the colors i would rather see all of the green parts as dark green. now yes dark green is more valuble which would make a good excuse in its self but the real reason is dark green is more valuble to prototyping. everything from euro steam to pullmans are closer to the dark green than bright.

I think I’d dump the straight wagon plates, those are easy to come by in regular sets. Replace with more drop centers perhaps, in different colors (red and yellow come to mind, or even brown!)

i dissagree, while not very usefull to alot of adult train builders they are still usefull to the kids. the other thing is that they are large enough that they could be a seperate item instead of bagged with additional parts. as for colors i agree that brown would be cool but probably not universal enough to be usefull. basic black and perhaps darkstone gray would be more universal in there usefullness.

   I think I’d lose any part that has click hinges, as I said before... the superliner windows in particular are icky clicky...

agreed icky clicky

my nit pick: where is the dark stone grey train wheels? ondrew

Those are nits, if I got your assortment I’d be 96% happy!