 Trains / 25345
25344  |  25346
Subject:
TCLTC Style Track Details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 06:24:25 GMT

A while ago, some were asking for details as to how we “detailed” our tracks, especially the curves and points. I had a lot of free time this weekend, and I decided to get some pics taken (unfortunately, all of our points are still packed at the clubhouse and so I didn’t have one around to shoot)

Anyway, these pics should give you a good idea how Ross did it. The secret is in making the ballast the same color as the dark gray LEGO ties (sleepers), so that it all “blends in” and you can’t tell the difference between the two. I saw how the GMLTC used “speckled” ballast, but the relative size of each “speckle” (a 1x1 plate) was too large IMO to create a truly “random feel” to the ballast and so I stuck with a uniform color, and added the black tiles to create more of a realistic look for the track.

The other secret is that every other 1x4 black tile “floats” on one end, resting on the edge of a tie, and covering nicely the gap underneath it. Again, it is hard to explain, but the pics pretty much speak for themselves.

Once I retrieve a point, I’ll shoot some pics-- even I haven’t examined them all that closely, as Ross handled that job, too. (I did all of the straights:-))

HTH,

JOHN