 Trains / 2529
Re: Engine Speed Regulation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 02:48:09 GMT

Thanks for the explanation! (Wow, so it is really possible to explain how the
steam engine works without using a single picture!)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Now, how to regulate speed? You use a thing called the throttle. This is
essentially a bar that, via linkages that adjust the valve gear(2),
regulates the proportion of the total stroke cycle that steam is
admitted to the cylinder. The longer, proportionally, that the steam is
admitted, the more expansion you get and the more work done against the
piston face. As work increases beyond that required to maintain steady
state you get acceleration.

This looks like the PWM (pulse width modulation) method RCX uses to control
its motor powers.

Why the steam engine here uses the throttle to control the _duration_ that the
steam is admitted, but not the _amount_ of the steam admitted (while keeping
the duration fixed), as in the internal combustion engines?

Thanks,

Hoa-yang Wang