 Trains / 24768
Re: London Underground Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 21:02:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
Hi Jon,
"Mind the Gap" ;)
I was just in London for a week in the fall and rode this very train from
Heathrow to Earl's Court station. And other tube trains all around London,
including the EuroStar from Waterloo station to Paris! (Steve's excited).

I really love this lego verson! Many great details. Right down to the undergroud
logo, which even at this pixelated resolution, manages to capture the logo!

I was wondering if an extra plate in the door would reduce the inset on the
sloped part of the door?

SteveB

Yes..you do have a proportionally large gap to mind with lego trains!

The extra plate would certainly reduce the inset at the sloped part of the door
but it was not possible with this version because the tile on top of the door is
required to tuck it under the central roof strip. Another way of looking at it
is to lower the adjacent sloped roof above the window which could be built in to
a future version.

If I can get the parts (read 'find' the parts since my kids have been building)
I'm going to build the centre car because these were built as 3 car units and
doubled up in service. The small wheels will need replacing with the new type
which run with less friction - pity I'll lose the realistic squeal though!

I'm pleased you like it - always good to hear feedback and ideas for the next
attempt..

In lugnet.underground, Jonathan Reynolds wrote:
Hello all,

I've recently completed a model of a tube train like this one

http://www.brickish.org/members/files/jreynolds/Ruislip73.jpg

If any of you have flown into Heathrow and caught the tube up to central London,
this is the train you will have ridden in

The lego model has been built 6-wide and compressed in length to suit the
curves. Both prototype and model are noticably lower than the 'surface' stock
and required the use of an articulaed design to limit the intrusion of the motor
bogey.(see pics below)

http://www.brickish.org/members/files/jreynolds/TubeTQ.JPG

http://www.brickish.org/members/files/jreynolds/TubeComparison.JPG

http://www.brickish.org/members/files/jreynolds/TubeArticulation.JPG

The model uses plenty of SNOT techniques - those doors are inset by less than
half a stud, for example. Hope you like it.

Jon Reynolds