 Trains / 24736

Re: Compressionism (D&RGW coach set)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:04:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:

   I know what you mean. When I see a fine compressed train, as in a James Mathis creation, the word that comes to my mind is “cute”.

Funny, when I see a fine looking (when on static display) 8 wide model on a curve, even a curve/straight/curve curve, the word that comes to mind is “ridiculous”.

That’s interesting. I’ve never had the wonky weave problem. Perhaps it is because we go curve-straight-curve-straight (never 2 curves together).

   If and when LEGO ever makes decent radii, I might switch.

Yeah, and bats will fly out of my butt!

   But till then, no. I build my models to operate. (that they sometimes have issues is a different matter, I’m not too proud...)

<shrug> We build to run as well. And you will see how well in Cincy.

   lol none taken. I realize that many people still love the cuteness of 6 wide trains and fear the big, bad 8 wides;-) To each his own.

Oh, get over yourself. Mobody fears you. Or your models. :-)

Me??? You’ve been hanging out over in CSF too much. FEAR ME AND MY LEGION OF 3VIL BAD GUYS! WATCH MY BLECHA STOMP ON THIS PUNY CHOO-CHOO! (smacktalksmacktalk) <zzzzz>

What I meant was all of the hysteria that building 8 wides will consume entire LEGO collections (& perhaps a child or two along the way). Your crack was the kicker!

JOHN

Re: Compressionism (D&RGW coach set)
In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:

I know what you mean.  When I see a fine compressed train, as in a James
Mathis creation, the word that comes to my mind is "cute".

Funny, when I see a fine looking (when on static display) 8 wide model on a
curve, even a curve/straight/curve curve, the word that comes to mind is
"ridiculous".

That's interesting.  I've never had the wonky weave problem.  Perhaps it is
because we go curve-straight-curve-straight (never 2 curves together).

Ugh, I can't stand it. We just had a layout that used c-s-c-s-c-s-c to
avoid a track overlap, and I felt like puking as the trains went bobbing
through it. I can only imagine how those poor minifigs felt.

As for the 8-wide debate, we all know where I stand, build them big and
damn the shubbery! But, I have been compressing my stuff lengthwise.
When I figured out how long I would have to go to make a super cheif
coach uncompresses I nearly coughed up a lung. Oh yeah, this weekend I
discovered that you can "damn the shubbery" but you cannot really damn
the 7-foot tall building with a 10-wide platform entrance. Prying the
last car back out was fun.

If and when LEGO ever makes decent radii, I might switch.

Yeah, and bats will fly out of my butt!

LEGO bats? You _could_ do it with LEGO bats.

Re: Compressionism (D&RGW coach set)