 Trains / 24016
24015  |  24017
Subject:
combining LDCC and NQC style automation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:51:27 GMT

OK, so I made a trolley go back and forth using NQC and my RCX. My
wife's response to this was, "I that why you wanted a Mindstorms set?"
Her tone implied that while whe thought it was cool, she also thought
that I had just reached a new level of nuts. Anyway, the real reason for
getting an RCX was not just to make a point to point trolley but also to
dabble in LDCC. Truthfully, LDCC scars me a bit. MY trains are big, and
I don't want to burn out my RCX, but I digress.

I would like to improve my trolley. First, I would like the lights to
stay on at the stations. Sencond, I would like to put my trolley poles
back on. Since the trolley reverses direction, I took the trolley poles
off because at least half of the time, the wrong pole would be in the up
position. My thinking is that LDCC would allow the lights to stay on,
and I could, theoretically, use a motor to raise and lower the trolley
poles. Because I would like the trolley to remain automated, my big
question is whether I can use LDCC and NQC at the same time. Since NQC
and LDCC require different firmware on the RCX my initial thought is no,
I cannot do that. I thought that Mark Riley said that the input ports
are still active on an LDCC RCX, so I wonder how I could use those ports
to control an LDCC'ed trolley.

Thanks for anythoughts you might have on the matter!
Chris