 Trains / 22208
Re: Using dragon fly wings as train windows
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:32:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Esben Kolind wrote:

Thanks for sharing what is a very novel idea. I am not sure I like the wings
used the way you used them, did you consider trying to recess them into the
body? They stick out and look like a little wind would tear them right off the
side of the train. Setting them back a stud so they are inside the opening might
be a better approach

Yes, I experimented a bit with doing just that, but it's quite hard since the
slope of the wings does not fit anything else (at least no slopes in my
collection :-)

The rest of the train I liked a lot. Nice SNOTwork, and it reminds me of a 1940s
vision of the future, sort of.

Thanks, it is indeed a very futuristic train (also nowadays)

The station is really really sharp, cantilevered roofs are something you do not
see much of. I did not follow why you needed weights though, is that because
otherwise the columns would shear?

Excactly! The roof would fall right away if I removed the weights. But I wanted
the roof to be "realistic"... I don't think it's possible for three narrow
columns to carry such a large roof without any support in real life (or maybe it
is? I ought to know... I'm studying to become an engineer :-)

Esben