 Trains / 21178
Re: Introducing JetRed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:53:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

snip
This is basically a neat recolor of existing stock sets, ne? recolors are neat
and this is a fairly sharp fantasy scheme (I can't see using white doors in real
life though), yes, but I guess I like MOCs better.

The MOC engine (are the two engines different? to me, it looks like they're just
rotated versions of the same model) was nice though. If you like somewhat
fantastical engines.

For me, anyway, in .trains, anyway, I tend to look for posts that have exciting
new build techniques or that are nifty renditions of prototypes I'm familiar
with. This isn't .space where everything is fantastical.

Ok, I had to think about how to respond to this, but a response was defintely
neccesary.  I am not going to respond to the comments about my models, but the
last statement you made.  If you want realism go look at model team sets.  Yes,
there are a few very nice train reditions which resemble actual rail equipment.
But we are talking about legos here, where you are given at the max an 8 stud
wide train for minifig scale.  Hence everything is going to be "fantastical."
After all, thats what legos are for!

The way you put it, people who build models shouldn't even bother posting in
.train, because the group has no interest.  Yes I know you you said "for me."
But you know as me as well as I do that every group on ldraw seems to have a set
group of posters with a common interest running through them.  I don't care if
its .train, .mecha, .space or even .belville (if there is one.)  Too often I
have seen a newcomer looking for some comments and his or her post ends up
ignored and pushed so far back no one knows it ever existed.  Is this a
criticism of lugnet?  No.  To be honest this concept has bled in from real life
and it is very unfortunate.  I honestly think its a shame that I even had to
write this response, but I hope not too many others have the same outburst I
did.  Amazing how that suddenly generated responses.