 Trains / 21157
Re: pbForth Does DCC!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:33:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ralph Hempel wrote:
Now, I'd like to ask some quesitons of the train-heads before
I finalize things and release the first cut...

1. How important is multiple DCC channels? If unimportant, is it
   OK to just use Motor Port A as the default or should the port
   be programmable?

This depends on how many trains will be running, but IMO should at least be
programmable (ie the ability to use 1, 2 or 3 ports depending on load). Because
you can plug LACC[1] boosters into the output, and drive extra motors off them,
I don't think having free motor outputs is a big requirement.

I think I mis-stated my question. I meant to ask how many _independent_ DCC
channels would you like to see. That is, one DCC loop controlling trains and
another controlling switches, lights, crossings, etc.

Oh I see what you mean - and I agree with john that there's no real need for
multiple channels.

My booster is a simple H-bridge driver that is controlled by the RCX. Each
output from the booster can drive up to 3A.

I might add the ability to read DCC signals to the RCX, but that's very
CPU intensive and basically kills the capability to do anything else with
the brick.

Well I was thinking of relatively simple slave units, but with the ability to
operate various devices when they receive appropriate DCC signals. LACC can do a
very simple version of this, in stationary decoder mode, but the ability to do a
little more than just basic DCC functionalty would be neat (eg when func 1 is