 Trains / 18356
Re: Switching yards that actually work
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:14:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward writes:

I've been dabbling with track designer, making switching yards.  The
latest thread on diagonal track layouts has given me some more tricks
to get it to actually line up at the beginning and end with 8- or
16-stud intervals.

The following issues make it hard to design a reasonable switching
yard:
* Diagonal tracks are hard to line up
* ...Especially when a switch is used to produce the diagonal
* ...Especially when you want to make it possible to enter AND exit
the yard from the mainline...

So here is the trick I figured out...

<snip the very good text-list description>

Does this make sense to you?  Any comments?

Bill,

You got me curious.  I couldn't visualize the text description, so I built
it up in Track Designer.  Thanks for the very good construction description.

Here's what I ended up with following your description.  I hope I got it
correct.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jamathis/Trains/TrainsOther/TrainLayouts/WilliamWardSwchYard/ward_switchyard.gif

later,
James Mathis