 Trains / 18335
18334  |  18336
Subject:
Scales and Gauges (was Shay #5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:33:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Lewis Valentine writes:

Here are some pictures to my new Shay #5

Wonderful MOC, Lewis-- great attention to details!  As I was pouring

while we're nitpicking, c /pouring/poring/ (1)

over your
pics, it struck me that you have cleverly built past minifig scale to around
1:29.  Though you are 8 wide, Shays were a little over 9 feet wide.  Also,
Shays ran on narrow gauges, so utilizing LEGO gauge pushes you upscale
as well,
sort of like the popular scale On3, where you'd model in O scale (1:48), but
use HO scale track to simulate 30" gauge rails.

I think you meant 36", as 30" would be On2-1/2... (and is, I believe, what
use of N gauge track in HO scale is called, HOn2-1/2)

Nope.  See: http://hometown.aol.com/on30modeler/

Nope yourself. :-)

You need to read what you cite more carefully before you decide you should
cite from it, because it pretty clearly says that what was once known as
On2-1/2, and is NOW On30 is 30". Hence backing me up when I say that On3
means 36" and that you were incorrect to call On3 36" in your first post.

Ah, well, you lost me.  I never said anything about 36"; the "3" in On3 is
short for 30"...

No, John. If you'd pay attention you'd learn something. The 3 means 3 FEET
or 36 inches. NOT 30. This would be the third or fourth time you've been
told that, and not just by me either (Jeff C is exactly correct).

Actually, I was shooting from the hip in my initial post--

And subsequent ones... That's it exactly. You blathered about something that
you were wrong about. When you were corrected, you dug in instead of
admitting you were wrong, and came up with a cite that you claimed supported
you but actually, had you read it, proved *again* that you were wrong.
(that's the funniest part)

And here you are again, still insisting that you're right. Read your own cite.

It wouldn't be so bad if this was a private conversation but you're
propagating bad info to the newbies. Just admit you're wrong and stop.

Basically what happens is that to model narrow gauge, you take track from the
next smallest scale and call it 30"-- it's not perfect, but close enough.

No, not necessarily. It depends on the ratios. The next smallest gauge from
O is S, which is closer to meter gauge than it is to 30". TWO gauges down is
HO which is not a bad fit at all.

4 feet 8.5 inches is 56.5 inches. Meter gauge is about 40 inches, and 2 1/2
foot gauge is 30  inches.

The following table will prove instructive (view in monospaced font)

1 down 1 down 2 down 2 down
Gauge Scale Ratio Gauge Ratio Gauge

O 48 0.750 42.375 0.552 31.172
S 64 0.736 41.563 0.533 30.133
HO 87 0.725 40.963 0.544 30.722
TT 120 0.750 42.375 0.545 30.818
N 160 0.727 41.091
Z 220

Note that every 1 down gauge is not a bad fit for meter... a scale inch or 3
over. While every 2 down gauge is not a bad fit for 30". But there's no
really great fit for 3 foot.

This is why HOn3 and On3 (which are modeling *36 inch* gauge, and have been
since I was a boy) often use specialty track or handlaid track, neither of
the next two smaller gauges really helps.

++Lar