 Trains / 17417
Re: How to # that darn B unit...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:40:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.trains, David VinZant writes:
Thanks for all the info. I had heard that the engines were seen as one whole
unit. So I will just leave it with out a number.

Dave
PNLTC

ps. I ment SFSC, not SCSC

I presume an A-B-B-A arrangement would have two different numbers for each
A-B pairing though?

It depends. In the early days, usually not. The entire lashup (ABA, ABBA,
ABB, ABBBA, whatever) usually got one number. Sometimes with a trailing
letter (301A, 301B, 301C, 301D for example for an ABBA 4 unit set)

So, by the union rule, there'd be two crews.

No, that battle was won quickly.

Would controls of the second be slaved to the first?

Controls of the trailing units ( B, B, A, whatever)  would be "MUed"
(Multipe Unit... they're connectors you see on each side of the central
coupler hanging donw) to the lead A.